1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My Punto turned into beast after Timing Chain Replacement, driven 3K Kms after replacement,got amazing pull with light foot on pedal.
    I'm wondering about the performance, if i get cleaned with EGR valve and intake manifolds :rolleyes: .
    asimpleson likes this.
  2. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    What is the timing chain replacement interval for 75hp Punto? I could'nt find it anywhere in Owners handbook.
  3. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No defined timing chain replacement interval for 76hp, its whenever u start listening sound from timing chain.
    I have got mine changed when it was 80,000 km old.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Although chains (by their very nature) can break (anytime) sooner than a 60k kms recommended schedule, it depends on you if you are willing to take risk here. Some took the risk and had no issues for a longer usage while others faced problems and repented. There is no clear marker or proof, but risk definitely increases with no. of miles covered. So better to get it done at 60k kms.
  5. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    Dear members
    one SA in Hyson Cochin informed me that , if we change oil at 10000 km's interval for 76 hp then timing chain will last longer , not neccessary to change it at 60k or 70k mark, may be 90k and above.

can we take his suggestion and do oil change at 10,000 interval, so that timing chain last longer.
  6. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    I was adviced exactly the same by Ramkay Fiat Chennai. So I have changed my maintainence schedule. I will do oil change at 10000kms interval.
  7. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There was metal crunching sound in early mornings. Whenever i downshift it was lacking punch and Turbo pull time frequency was very late .
    Now i am very much satisfied with the performance of the Car. No Noise, On downshifts car just accelerate the way it was before 50k kms. Another issue identified is Engine mount gone bad. I will visit FASS soon.
    BTW mechanic has cleaned EGR too.
  8. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    Dear all,
    Went for service camp @ hyson kochi and sa found some noise from timing chain.
    Mine is a 75 HP 2012 punto and just competed 49700 km's and car have extended warranty till 2016.
    What might be the cause of the noise from timing chain?
    If the timing belt is changed will it be covered in the extended warranty?
    Kindly advise.
  9. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

delhi
    Get it replaced under extended warranty.

It is covered under extended warranty.
  10. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    First they refused my claim of Timing Chain replacement under extended warrenty taking the excuse that I got Punto's 2nd service delayed by 2000 kms.
    Later FAS Jaipur pleaded the matter further and they have agreed to settle the claim as Goodwill gesture. It is in progress at their end due to lenthy paperwork as FAS Jaipur has informed.