1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    No. There is no increase in vibration when engine is started or stopped. Vibration and roaring starts only after 90 km/h speed and goes when I slow down to 80. That is why I drive in the range of 80-90.
  2. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    I got the timing chain replaced for 2009 GP Epack+ which clocked 102450. Sound changed all of a sudden and the chain noise was audiable. On opening, saw the tensioner was to the max and chain was sagging. Had I neglected Couple of miles the damage would have been more.

Got the EGR cleaned and now the car is butter smooth and am enjoying every mile.

I got it done done outside sourcing the timing kit from Tata. Arif, the mechanic is a Fiat trained young guy full of ideas.

Need to mention the advice from fellow tfian Raghunath Srivathsav on advicing to get timing chain replaced.
  3. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    What happened finally - was the noise associated with the chain and was it replaced, and at what mileage ? Was the culprit noise present on every start ?
  4. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    In my case : Vibration above 90 km/h, I pondered over many aspects affecting. Suddenly it dawned upon me that I had skipped replacing new fuel filter in last service. Next day I got the fuel filter changed. Along with that I got EGR, Inlet manifold and MAF sensors cleaned. It took almost whole day but the car got its youth again.
    Now it is 68000 and stll there is no indication for changing Timing Chain.
  5. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    SA in HYSON FIAT-cochin informed me that for 75 hp punto timing chain replacement will be done at 1,00,000 kms only but for 90 bhp it will be done at 60,000 kms.

is it true? why is the difference in km's for 75 and 90 bhp for replacing timing chain.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^such information from service advisors needs to be taken with a pinch of salt unless he shows you a circular from fiat where it is mentioned
  7. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Timing Chain Replaced under Extended warranty @ ODO - 88000 Kms.
    Total Cost along with 90k Service which also includes Door handle, wheel cap, central locking Actuator & Timing Chain
    came to Rs 14,200.
  8. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    I had a talk with Ramkay Fiat. They too told that for 75 HP MJD timing chain replacement is required only after 90k kms. But at Rukhmani Fiat at Patna they telling at 60 kms. Its totally confusing. One of my friend who owns a palio mjd tells that no need to change unless its required. Totally confused????
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    How many kms has your car done? are you a sedate driver or you drive with a heavy right foot?

Fiat has not mentioned to change the timing chain for punto (both 75 and 90) but it would be good to change it as a preventive measure if the answers to the two questions are '60K+' and 'heavy right footed driver'!

You can give it a miss if you are cautious enough to notice the sound everytime you cold start the car because that's when the timing chain sound comes but having said that it is very easy not to notice it (I wasn't able to notice it)!
  10. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    shams, i have done 41k kms and im an extremely light footed and sedate driver.