1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes that's too brief :) Attach a longer version at idle and some as RPM rises and settles in a minute or two audio (if time permits that is).
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There is no noise after that. Just this noise immediately after the crank. Will upload longer audio soon.
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Isn't Manza using the same engine ? Does it have such an issue. Technically Manza also uses the same timing chain except the pre-tensioner I believe. Any thoughts on this ?

- - - Merged Post - - -

For your ears only ;) . Not very much evident, but you have to listen carefully with a headset the 1st 2-3 secs after the crank.

Mods :- If you feel that this video may mislead, please feel free to remove it
    1 person likes this.
  4. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    WP_20140802_09_59_28_Pro.jpg Hi
    As I came for horn replacement I saw the periodic maintenance chart there they have clearly mentioned about timing chain replacement for only 90hp model at 60K kms please attached pic
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Initially my car used to take 3_4 cranks before start. Today changed the Battery with Amaron Flo .ooooahhhh first crank engine started.What a change.So for my timing chain change thing i can rule out the starting trouble issue due to timing chain issue..So now i have to rely more on engine sound now.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    My Punto 75 hp has done 58000 kms. I got 5th paid service at SGPL, Jaipur when odo was 56000 kms. I asked them for timing chain replacement but it was refused as they said it is not necessary.
    My car starts vibrating at speed of 90 km/h. I feel engine vibrating and its noise increases if accelerator is pushed further. Also it is harder to push accelerator after 110. Due to this vibration and engine noise, I keeep speed within 80-85 km/h. Recently, I got inlet manifold, EGR and MAF sensor cleaned at my known mechanic who once worked in TASS and used to attend Puntos and Lineas there..Wheel alignment and wheel balancing also recently done. But there is nothing better. I drive alone almost always due to my mobile duty.

Is the Timimg Chain change is the only cure?
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Were the engine mounts checked in service specially the C mount
  8. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    No. Engine mounts were not checked during the last service. I will get them checked at the earliest. May this be the remedy of this mule.
    Thanks for advice.

- - - Merged Post - - -

No. Engine mounts were not checked during the last service. I will get them checked at the earliest. May this be the remedy of this mule.
    Thanks for advice.
  9. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
  10. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    Thanks for right advice.
    I got engine mounts tightened. C mount was found OK. After that there is some improvement.
    Do all cars vibrate with increasing speed?
    My Punto is almost noiseless and fine up to speed of 80 km/h, just like a petrol car. Also at some roads, only wind noise is barely audible (no engine noise) at even 100 km/h. At many ocassions it roars. Yesterday, I started the car after 3 days, and drove it almost 200 kms and it was super smooth and silent even uphill. Next day it was roaring at 80. It behaves differently at different times.
    After 45k kms, I have upgraded tires to Yoko Earth 1, 185 65 15 alongwith alloys(from Fiate at discount). FE down by 2 km/l.
    Using Stanadyne Diesel Additive for last 20 days. FE is now 23-24 at speed 80-100 with 60% AC. Also with Stanadyne, car feels more powerful and qick reponsive to accelerator input.