1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, thats what I am saying that it is better to spend on timing chain rather than suffering a huge dent on the pocket as a consequence of the damage repair due to a broken chain. :)

Same here. I have been using Delvac1 at one point of time inspite of a leak in the oil sump and losing quite a costly oil. But the preventive care should be justifiable. Here, my point is that the recommendations are being made at a few service centres by merely looking at the odometer readings. Even if we say that they are honest in recommending the timing chain even in 75HP as a preventive measure/care at 60,000Km, why in that case do they say that the timing chain is making noise so please change it. :)

If someone recommends a change of timing chain by merely listening to the noise of it, then the noise should be more than normal for sure. I showed my car to 2 other FASCs and 1 other mechanic and none of them found any abnormal noise of the timing chain just like I was suspecting. Thus, I conclude that the justification for changing the timing chain wasn't valid.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Most of the timing chain problems was found in 90ps also saw some threads for Tata Manza.Any idea whats the difference is in between 75ps components and 90ps apart from VGT.May be Tata wanted to make more out of Tata Fiat JV? by introducing Timing chain replacement.If its only lasting 60k kms thats isnt a bad engineering? and spend 11k .Why 75hp has been skipped strange isnt it?
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Simple test.

Cold early morning crank. After start for 2 or 3 secs you get extra noise which is metallic. Don't ignore that.

Had that recently in my 32k kms run 90HP and timing kit was replaced. Other tell tales are lower fe, higher nvh and rough idle.

I have youtube videos depicting the noise, let me know if you need them.
    1 person likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, beats me too why there is no better technique employed to measure a chain slack.

There is no reason why they should not have mentioned it, or is it that 90hp had the trouble more than 75hp or was it that they just failed to mention in manuals at first. Timing chain stretching does happen anyways, which I think contributes to noise.

Do share, particularly if from an MJD engine. :)
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Yes, it is an MJD 90HP. :)

Here is the video. Do note the difference between the first and second crank. You do not get the noise at the second crank.

Punto 90HP Timing chain noise: http://youtu.be/frdCAcFppC8
    jackharrisw, Ganges and asimpleson like this.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    That was me Yashik. Entire description of the damage is in my ownership thread: a journey with punto.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    shams,
    may be the damage is due to your special Turbo :D

- - - Merged Post - - -

DRIVER,
    i'm unable to make out the difference,can you please help in identifying if possible.

i will post here the audio file for my engine sound.
  8. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    Recently had the second timing chain replacement for my Linea MJD at 1.36 lakh kms. The first one was at around 75k kms. Both times the replacement was part of preventive maintenance. However, one interesting observation is that recently I used to have a lot of cranking problems (not just when the engine was cold). Sometimes the car used to start only after 5-6 attempts, at times I used to remove the key fully and then attempt a start. I was suspecting the starter motor to play up due to the mileage however the SA told me it could be the timing chain. I dont know how the cranking issue is connected to timing chain. But post chain replacement I have driven 4k kms and touchwood the cranking is butter smooth and as good as new car. I forcefully got the service centre to service the starter motor parts too... so not sure if that made the difference but the SA is confident that timing chain was the culprit. So guess starting troubles could be one of the symptoms of an aging timing chain. The SCs are insistent on 60k duration for timing chain replacement for MJDs.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ^^ I am facing some starting problems lately as well. Sometimes the car does not start at first crank.

- I ruled out battery problems since the battery is only about 6-8 months old and there are no tell tale signs that we normally see i.e. airbag failure messages etc.
    - Timing chain - i did not suspect it at all until i saw you post above. My timing chain is only about 20K kms old.

- The other things i was suspecting were the starter motor and glow plugs. I'll try to get them replaced under Ext warranty during my next service.

VJ
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It could be timing not timing chain. The timing can be adjusted with a tool also used during timing chain replacement. Get that checked and fixed if in doubt.

Then there could be battery, starter, glow plugs or fuel injection issues also. At 20k kms I doubt the chain is giving issues. You mean timing chain is changed before 20k kms right.. :confused: