1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thank you for that heads-up. will get a break up and see.
  2. m-matt

m-matt Timido

Bangalore
    not necessary to change the timing chain before the user manual specified time period. When it is mentioned in the manual to change at certain interval, even if you feels like there is some problem with chain, get it checked with FASS. If they also claiming to do, probably you could get it under warranty. Timing chain comes under wear and tear part, but when it showing problems before the mentioned time period, you could it changed under warranty.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As akshay saying abt the life of timing chain i didnt saw any signs of timing chain problem, i have shown to my nearby mechanic, he also claims chains doesnt give up so early.Mine odo is on 110110kms.Will wait for another 15k kms.Lets see.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Ganges, you can wait another 1 lac kms and it won't break. Or you can change tomorrow for peace of mind. I spoke to the person who introduced this timing chain interval for our Indian Fiat diesels in first place. There is no guarantee of a belt or chain snapping at any km. running; some weak fibres in belts or weak link in chain can cause this breakage. In MJD there is lesser damage as per this very gentleman, as compared to other interference type engines, both valve to valve or valve to piston types. IIRC, maybe the rocker arms take a hit.

CORSA 1.3 CDTI (Fiat mjd) timing chain before replacement..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks simple bro for the information.My mechanic told that the aging signs of Timing chain can easily be identified by the sound.This is not yet identified in my case.
    As such the car is running fine without any problems.My worry is that if i opt to replace timing chain , for which i need to travel either pune or Hubli for servicing.
    Im in touch with TATA Pandit sangli for replacement, soon they will reply me back for this change in Sangli TATA Pandit.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    First of all, if the timing chain breaks in Fiat's MJD, it causes quite a big dent in the pocket. A fellow TFI member has seen the extent of damage at a FASC (I do not remember the details so cant tag the member here).

Secondly, some of the service centres are making quick money by changing the timing chains at 45k or 60k. Why do I say this?

As per my info, Fiat was using the same timing chain in 90HP engine that they were using in the 75HP engine (This is what I was told). After a few chain breaking incidents, Fiat started replacing the timing chain at 60k for 90HP engines and also upgraded the chain quality (I was told). Now, the replacement interval for 90HP remains 60k Km but there is no such interval for 75HP.

Some of the service advisors have been trained to see the odometer and vomit the line, "Timing chain is making noise and its 60,000Km done so please change it as soon as possible."

This is what I was told in Chandigarh in early 2013 when I went there for a wheel bearing replacement. They quickly assessed my car and gave me a quotation:
    01. Wheel bearing Rs3000 including labour
    02. Leak in steering Rs20,000 + labour
    03. Leak in oil sump Rs1500 + adhesive + labour (only a nut costing Rs60 was to be changed)
    04. Timing chain full kit (chain+pads+sprockets etc.) Rs4000 + Rs3000 labour
    05. Brake pads Rs2500 + labour
    06. Elastic pads Rs1500 + Rs2000 labour.

I said no to all other things except wheel bearing. I am infuriated at above estimate because I already have a lot to spend (leaking steering+brake pads+suspension+elastic pads etc.) but they still wanted to rip me off by a full Rs9,000/- by recommending a timing chain and oil sump replacement.

I had timing chain noise issue in my motorcycle and I know how that sounds. I know there was no noise in the timing chain at that time. Now that the car has done 80k, I am planning to get the timing chain replaced in the next upcoming service around 82-85k Km.

Fiat service has improved in general with better spare part availability but if you are not careful with certain things, a few of the bad ones will put their hands in your pocket.

Best is to show your car to some trusted mechanic and ask him if there is any timing chain noise that he can hear and seek his opinion.
    2 people like this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes you are very correct. They will recommend everyone a timing chain job every once in a while, sometimes irrespective of whether dire need is there. Timing chain noise starts early and if you can listen intently you can make it out even on a 30k kms run MJD engine. Timing chain noise and timing chain snapping are different things and not related IMHO.

On the point of huge dent in pocket, I would add that even if one can and doesn't mind spending huge sums easily (taking chances) why put the very factory fitted engine through corrective surgeries.

They say post surgeries or procedures heart efficiency and reliability drops. An engine is not as critical a pump like a human heart still producing many horses worth of power. Such a shame to loose a horse or few horses worth of power ;)

I for one would not mind spending excess on preventive care of engine more than any other component of the car. Timing chain is top priority in my list, followed by oil on which there are cheaper and good alternatives and good amount of money can be saved there if informed choices are made. With that money saved I would not mind replacing the chain on engine twice in a lac km or aligning the timing on the engine to keep it in optimal position. Rest is luck factor.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Does timing chain change has warranty period? ( im not doing my regular service after 60k kms )
    after changing if it fails again.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Not sure if there is warranty period, but if Timing chain snaps even after changing at recommended interval, a lot of blame will be on Fiat and/or FASC for them to sort it between themselves. I suppose a lot of discounts could be asked for with regards spares and labour charges in such cases. You will need to check company T&C and policies for such situations. I guess the claims for such issues will be a goodwill gesture and not mandatory by law for company as in actual warranty and EW.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There is no recommended interval for 75 hp. Anyways im in touch with TASS for timing chain replacement lets see, will update here.