1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    They have to get best quality from local vendors also. It will depend on vendor training also.

Parts cost must decrease to stay competitive with spare parts quality.

:p heartsent for our mutual benefit .. !
  2. Ahamed Beig

Ahamed Beig Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you Abdul for the suggestion regarding timing KIT.

Now, my car has run 57K km. And I do not notice any change in sound on the engine side. The service guy also tells the same. As you suggested, I will keep a watch on the timing belt (chain) and see if I have to replace it before the advised time (May 15).
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Hi Ahamed Beig,

Unless you have issues with spare parts quality and related things, kindly post your query to relevant sections. Link below.

REQUEST to MODS : Please move the posts mentioned within to relevant section for further discussion. Thanks.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I have done 60K on my second timing chain.
    1st one was replaced under warranty.
    Got it checked at aftersales at 100K service,and Advisor asked me to carry on using the same chain,as timing chains are meant to last long,and since everything is working smoothly without any noise or any other problems.
    Btw Timing chain replacement at Metro motors now costs 3500 bucks including Pads and labour:p
  5. dnyaneshdivekar

dnyaneshdivekar Timido

I had similar issue service center guy adviced to change timing chain at 45 k.but later when i collected car he told that turbo pipe had large tear, but he had changed both pipe and timing chain. I feel do not change timing chain before 60 k its not atall needed.
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I am thinking to replace timing chain @45 k instead of 60 k.
    Because chronic problem of my 90 HP seems about improper breathing of engine.

My Pulsar 220 was also facing problem of improper engine breathing & strain on engine after 2000 RPM.

So I corrected valve clearance. After that 220 became perfect.
    But problem again occured after using bike only for 10-20 KM.
    One of my friend who run bike service station advised me to replace timing chain.

Symptoms of my P220 and 90 HP are same.
    Replacement of timing chain is paid job in warrantee period then why to postpone it to 60 k ?
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Yes you can change it much earlier. It was changed on Linea even earlier. Except timing chain replacement somehow is a measure of preventive measure that is not too guaranteed to prevent chain failure. But would not hurt for sure changing earlier, more like a personal peace of mind for taking additional measure.

:p heartsent for our mutual benefit .. !
  8. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

IMHO changing the timing chain again and again is an overkill.
    If the car is running fine without any issues,why bother changing it early.
    Its a critical job,i know of a car,whose chain came off a hundred kilometers after replacement.
    Timing chains are usually known to last as long as a vehicle.
    Heck for vehicles running with timing belts,intervals are 80K kms.
    For people whose vehicles are under 60K and running fine without any problems,avoid the replacement,and stick to recommended interval.
    2 people like this.
  9. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Called up vecto for getting my 60k service done. Estimate given is around 20 k which includes timing chain replacement too! Far too much dent on pocket! :(
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Timing chain replacement costs 3500 bucks at Fiat After sales here including chain and pads.
    Ask them for a break up.