1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i'm still not thinking to change the timing chain,there are no signs of metal sound from the engine.
    All the service guys said me to change at 1Lak Kms.
    Hence decided to wait for another 16K Kms.
  2. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For me mechanic advised to change it @ 90k service. So i am thinking whether to change or not. Now a days running gone low on punto so i am planning after Couple of months.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Does timing chaing wear and tear depends upon the drive,i mean city drive and highway drive ?
    My 90% is highway drive and 10% is city drive.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I feel a constant speed for a longer time like highway drive will definitely increase life of any mechanical moving parts than city drive where we have frequent stop & go.
    1 person likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The cost of Timing chain replacement is less compared to the peace of mind it offers. Mechanics will disown responsibility if the chain gives away. Best to follow company recommendations. If it is long overdue best to not test it further. Who wants to open a good engine for repairs..?

Heart sent via Tapatalk for our mutual benefit..!
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Engine stresses keep varying at various speeds. Think of it as a cycle chain that slips of or breaks at higher speeds. Here the chain does not drive the wheels directly but surely it can break at any speed, even idling.

Heart sent via Tapatalk for our mutual benefit..!
  7. hi fiatians,
    Can anyone post the bill copy of timing chain kit replacement so that it could be a reference for those planning to change it.
  8. Ahamed Beig

Ahamed Beig Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi,

My Punto is nearly 4.5 years old. Yesterday, during regular service, I asked if I have to replace the timing belt.
    The service guys sais, no, by next year (May2015) it should be replaced. And I should replace the whole timing KIT which costs around 14000.

Needed your advice on this. Should I go for complete timing KIT replacement or not.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    The replacement of the whole timing kit costs <8K, Definitely not 14k. A quick search on this forum will give you more details.
    1 person likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

The timing chain is replaced only if symptoms occur or under precautionary mode when the engine has racked up at least 60 K kms. Go for the change at 60. It is better not to postpone it and is worth the effort. Ideally change only the timing chain. That is enough, as the rest of the kit items are hard wearing and really dont merit a change.

Abdul,

- - - Merged Post - - -

Good effort @asimpleson. It is not that Fiat is not aware of these qualilty issues, but have chosen to ignore. But this thread will be shock eye opener for FIAT as this is the last thing they would have expected a fiat fan do. With the pics that cant be denied, they will now scurry to the vendors and insist that the moulds are corrected and finish is back up to scratch with better materials and more stringent workmanship. They will realise that they are being monitored inside out :) I sincerely hope these are not the quality of the parts that is used in export. The current lot of customers are very discerning and expect more and will not accept compromises.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.