1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I got my Timing chain kit replaced. However the service advisor informed me that as there was a play in the water pump they have replace that also. Now please inform me whether I can claim this replacement under warantee.

Regards,

Kiran
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Yes, Water pump is covered in both Warranty and Extended warranty. It's going to be a long route to get a refund back if you car is out of main warranty, but should be possible.
    1 person likes this.
  3. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks vj_v1. Took up the matter with Fiat and my warantee claim was accepted :). Now my mammoth excercise getting the refund back from Balaji starts.

Kiran
  4. What was the total cost of your TC replacement service. As i m planning to take my car to RDC chennai next week , can u pls post ur service bill for reference.
  5. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Earlier it was quoted around 7500 Rs including Labor charges.
  6. My car is nearing 42000 km . Is it necessary to have a look on Timing chain???:(
  7. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not necessary. It is advised to replace timing chain @ 60k. Anyways get it checked to get peace of mind.
  8. How to believe those SA regarding TC necessary of replacement . Bcoz i had a bad experience with service advisor in TASS a year ago.
  9. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It costed me approx 8000/- for the chain replacement including other belts etc. I replaced just as a preventive measure @ 80K
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Rather late a reply, but just for the record. After careful deliberation on the level of wear on the driving and driven gear, I was told by a very experienced senior person that wear and tear problem is only at a micron level. But since I insisted on changing the same, he suggested me to buy only the driving gear (probably the bigger one like those in a bicycle) since the smaller one was a bit too expensive.
    The reason he said is that what ever slight imbalance is there will get rectified by the self adjusting tensioner or something akin to that, not sure exactly what were his exact words. So things that were changed in my case were timing chain, 2 pads, one sprocket gear.