1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @the black

mine done only 13k kms... at 5000kms normal top up of 300mL was done and then at 13000kms full engine oil changed. could you plz explained the TD, MAF, EGR etc... i really get out of this timing chain...
  2. drapkarthik

drapkarthik Novizio

Bangalore
    Today i checked with the showroom people regarding timing chain ( timing kit) replacement for 1.3 mjd, was said that they have received a circular from fiat regarding replacement of timing kit for 1.3 mjd at 60k or two year service interval. claim to be a recent update.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Timing Chain Replacement now a part of 60k Scheduled Periodic Maintenance

All Tata/Fiat dealers have received a circular from Fiat to include Timing Chain replacement in 60k Scheduled Periodic Maintenance

Attaching circular for more information

Service Bulletin.jpg
    4 people like this.
  4. I can't trust my eyes now, I have seen many Linea's close 100000 kms with out any for Timing chain replacement.is that semi synthetic oil playing spoilsport or 15K service interval? why punto is not affected by this.
    1 person likes this.
  5. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    few days back SA told me that my punto has timing chain issue..done only13000 km ... but now it got resolved don't know how :)
  6. You should have asked him on how did he found it? hard to trust these SA's
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Thanks for the great information, Vijay bhai.

This service bulletin is completely disappointing for me. Something is clearly amiss. The entire point of using a timing chain in an engine is to provide longer life than a timing belt. The world over,many timing chains usually last as long as engines themselves.

To put the stupidly small 60,000km interval into perspective , our other car is powered by a 1990 manufactured Toyota TurboDiesel engine and this engine has a timing belt. The official replacement interval recommended by Toyota for this engine is 1,00,000 km's. And here we have a chain with interval of just 60,000km's.

Thumbs down.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So is this only applicable for Linea, or Punto should also have same changing interval?
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Applicable to both GP and Linea 1.3 90 HP. Not applicable to 75 HP Grande Punto
    1 person likes this.
  10. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    vijay bro thanks a lot for the information!
    I do agree with guru pajji. Timing chain is introduced to extend the the time period of replacement but what is the use of such timing chain who needs to replaced at 60k only??
    Now i do think oil plays vital role in it & i should switch over to synthetic oil ASAP!
    Really never heard for any car that need to touch timing chain so early!

Also this thing made me think that is this protocall is same in other countries too??
    We should ask our international members owning Linea JTD about conditions at their end are same aswell or not.