1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Being novice about mechanicals of the car, I was discussing with SA about timing chain issues and he said it is due to Engine oil being used for 15000kms, the OE oil cannot withstand really well at the end of its cycle causing the chain to lose its life early. And majority of the incident of chain snapping was either at the end of service or start of service !!

Experts can this be a reason?
    1 person likes this.
  2. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I'm no expert but I understand that the timing chain is "bathed" in the engine oil for lubrication, so poor oil quality can be a factor towards early failure.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. Exactly the point, there was only few microns of wear on old gears after 53K kms, which doesn't warrant replacement,I wasted money and time in getting them replaced.
    chain will always get extended a it after few thousand kms .
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I too felt that some old parts could be retained and the entire kit is not required in all cases.
    I asked very specific question to KHT and they replied that FIAT suggests change of the entire kit.
    I didn't want to take a chance in case some major failure happens and my warranty is denied due to this.
    First of all I am dissapointed with this timing chain issue, plus this kit change.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I really wish I could measure a few microns of wear with my eyes. :)

But at the end of the day, it's the owner's decision to do as he pleases. I outlined a "good practice" and I truly hope people follow it, in their best interests.

Cheers.
    4 people like this.
  6. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I agree on gurjinder's view on being 'safe than sorry', but with FIAT being clueless on the cause behind the failures , are we supposed to change the kit every 60K km or so ? This clearly increases the maintenance overhead for FIAT cars.

FIAT should clearly find out why this is happening in their cars ! Even The FIAT Forum - For Talk On All Things FIAT has reported timing chain failures.
  7. I just made up microns wear as other than being shiney i could not make out any difference.
    Just being shiney means few microns as eye could not make out but chain elongation was noticeble.
    When we polish the painted surface we loose few microns of paint but not sure any body would question the obvious.
    I spent Rs 6500/- to buy them,why should i lie on this fact?
    If you you wish to spend money ,please go ahead be my guest in my repenting club.
  8. Guys this is technical query

I got my timing adjusted in my cars post 1500 kms, as i felt it was retarded a bit.
    From the process what I understood it Cam needs to be locked, then crank/flywheel.
    once all the three things are locked,try adjusting the cam pully there will still some margin of play at cam. Now my car is adjusted to middle of the play.
    car feels good to drive but what i did not understand is why this whole thing is so imprecise ?

In a petrol car once can check the timing with strobe light but in Diesel it is just rudimentary procedure.

People who understand this please explain.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Not all diesels employ this procedure. The Palio D and a lot of other diesels have clear cut timing marks. Align everything and you are good to roll. Ofcourse, a good mechanic uses the timing marks to get into the ballpark area and then times the engine by feel. On old diesel engines, there were people who would rotate an injection pump on a running engine to see where the engine felt happy.

So, timing marks are only one aspect. The guy working on the engine is the more important aspect. My mechanic once told me how to set the timing on the Multijet but I have forgotten it now. It was a simple procedure - to the experienced mech. On that very day, his inexperienced assistant completely botched the timing of a Stile Multijet. :p

Cheers.
  10. Hmm, I feel my car has advanced timing,there is more clatter in the idling bot pickup and response seems to be much better.
    I will be getting it checkked by ex TASS guy this saturday but i also feel my car came with retarded timing from company.