1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Abdul,
    How does your car feels during idling and RPM above 3000?
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Sat, the engine sound is more muted now and is pulling well now and feels more cohesive. I have not really tested, as after 8 pm delivery it was crawling to home and again crawling to office in the morning traffic.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  3. anicaution

anicaution Amatore

Kolhapur
    Timing Change : Replaced following:
    1032A12-P Timing Chain labor - 1972
    55221385 Timing Chain - 890
    59089482 Chain Stretcher - 1497
    71753861 Sealer - 458
    59089471 Pad - 199
    59089475 Pad - 208
    14118811 Nut - 114

Total: 5339/-

Good experience at Sky Moto FASS,Pune.

Anicaution
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i have this Krrrr Krrr sound while the starts.
    After having two to threee krrrr krrr engine starts.
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ganges, its not the cranking sound when we turn the key. this timing chain sound comes once the engine has started. only on cold starts and maybe for few seconds only. it will have kind of metallic effect. if you are suspicious then better get it checked.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks shams for the clarification :) .
    For mental piece i will get it checked.
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

+ 59089477 Driving gear = Rs 1015

I think it is a good idea to get the driving gear changed too. No "NUT" was changed on mine. :confused::confused:

Also a note for people planning to get this done. It is ideal to get the timing chain replaced during the scheduled service since the Engine oil and coolant will be drained.

Lots of stuff needed to be opened, I was worried about them being able to fit everything back properly. I was even more worried coz there where 3 different mechanics working on it. The lead mechanic did the engine bay dismantling while the other 2 guys opened up the oil sump etc. Looks normal so far, but will have to keep an eye in and around the engine bay for a couple of days.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Big +1 to the above. Get both the "gears / sprockets" changed when changing timing chain.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    why is that required if the gears are in almost original condition? for my car both gears were changed but later i came to know that it might not have been necessary.
    sat-chit had inspected the old gear parts while getting them changed and found that theywere almost as good as new.
    anicaution and jumu have also not changed the gears.

hence i feel that in most cases they might not need a change.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Good practice really. Fundamentally, they are just a chain and sprocket like any other. They both wear together and into each other.

Just my opinion ;)
    1 person likes this.