1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Why was the head taken out?

Crank is locked first and timing chain is taken out. While fitting the cam is rotated and then locked using the locking tool and then the gear with chain is tightened.
    1 person likes this.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @Ganges Would write on images what part is what when I get some free time

@Sat-Chit-ananda The new bolts were tightened using torque wrench but at what torque I don't know.

@Italia-Linea Head was opened to remove broken glow plug.
    2 people like this.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Broken glow plugs are the real pains. Also i hate the design of the injector seats. There should be some seal at the top. Water goes inside from there and the rust jams the injectors inside the head.
    1 person likes this.
  4. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I was quite worried seeing the thread by shams with his chain snapping on his Punto.

What's the fundamental problem with these chains ? Is there a quality problem with the ones supplied by FIAT and are the newer ones better ? In this case only a 1 time change should suffice and not a regular change every 60 K.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Yesterday, I got the timing chain changed at RDC, Chennai. My car has done 77,000 kms and was making a light metallic noise in the early morning first start
    The parts changed were only the chain, Auto tensioner, mobile chain tensioner and fixed chain tensioner whose total costs came to Rs.3200/- Other work done was to change a cracked Gear box C bed cost 1137/- and elastic pad for silencer 2 nos cost Rs.74/-. Total labour charges was Rs.2350/-which included bulb replacements due to earthing issus. It was full day job and I got my car back t 8 Pm. So the labour cost was IMO very reasonable. I am very satisfied with the work. The C bed replacement was not simple either.

Got to meet a Fiatian by name Sherri Mohanan with a Linea Epack who has joined our forum yesterday while at the FASS itself

Abdul
    2 people like this.
  6. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My 2011 Punto 90 HP has crossed 75000 kms. I donot have any problem as such, but should I go in for TC replacement? Please advice. I am planning a Clutch replacement next week as the gears are not slotting properly.

Kiran
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Jumu, in many cases the SCs have replaced the Driven/Driving gear also if customer doesn't ask questions but it has been found that they are not really required to be replaced. good that you saved some money on them :)
    Not required unless you notice the symptoms. as Jumu said above, it will make Krrr krrr sound during cold starts if anything is wrong with it. however if you feel that you might miss that indication, you can go ahead and change as a precautionary measure!!
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    There seems to be a large difference between labor charges between FIAT ASCs. Others are charging 5K+.

Has the metallic noise gone away after the change ?
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    as mentioned in my previous post they change couple of extra parts in SCs if customer is not aware! hence the higher labour!
    1 person likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Yeah, there is no more metallic noise and the engine feels more powerful as the slag is gone and the power is translated without loss.

Abdul

- - - Merged Post - - -

I would advise you to have it changed as your car is still young but has good runnng and there is an advisory from FIAT also for the 90hp engines to change at 60,000 kms. Once this fear creeps into you , it has this tendency to ring in your mind at all times. so it is better to get rid of that lurking fear of complications that it can cause and enjoy another 75K kms trouble free.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.