1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Had a casual chat with a technician from the Fiat garage opp. my building. Was explaining him about shams case and how we members want to take preventive action by changing the TC at 60k. He said usually we need to replace it at 90k kms and there is nothing much to worry until then.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Do we need a cam locking tool for getting this timing chain replaced?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Iam getting continuous humming noise at idle RPM.
    Humming noise minimises after 1500 RPM.

Is it noise of T chain?
    In addition to that I am facing massive lag below 1500 RPM
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  4. Bhai, check out idler or AC tension-er, mine is also having this humming issue. SA suggested to replace the tension-er.
  5. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Same feeling I had in my car too. Car was very sluggish, I did egr/intercooler cleaning it became better, but the vibration/humming sound was there.
    T Chain sound is little different but I think TChain will definitely affect performance.
    Initially the vibration reduced after I found the engine guard was touching some screw in the chassis which was corrected. Still there are some humming sound I suspect coming from the belt drives. The sound is not consistent though. This time at 60K service they are changing the belts also will report whether it got corrected. I have asked the Service to check the engine mountings also they have not found anything so far.

Massive lag below 1500 is quite common in Lineas. I have to put in 1 gear most of the time after a speed break :(
    Only after 2300-2500 rmp the boost comes.

O.T -
    Recently I was driving a Rapid Diesel. The engine was super responsive and boost starts @1500, I was very impressed
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  6. gkuppuprasath

gkuppuprasath Novizio

I think for other they are charging high

- - - Merged Post - - -

Due to some extra noise I heard while idle rpms

- - - Merged Post - - -

No.. timing chain, and pads etc
  7. anicaution

anicaution Amatore

I checked with service center in Kolhapur; As there is no noise or sound indication issue with Timing Chain no need to replace immediately.

8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Got the timing chain changed 2nd time but this the complete kit was changed. The chain is made by JWIS (IWIS) which is a very respected name. The old tensioner was not smooth in its operation and that was the main cause of trouble causing timing to be out by around 3.5 degree. The oil spray tube was working ok and not blocked so 15k interval is not the reason for chain problems.
    No sludge was found inside the engine block and head just little carbon deposits here and there after 1 lac kms oil was doing its job perfectly. No scoring marks on cylinders, carbon deposits were found on top of 2 pistons due to wrong timing according to mechanic. Most difficult job while removing head is getting injectors out. Two bent injector removing tool and 4 bottles of lub spray and injectors didn't budge a mm then Coca Cola was put around them multiple times a day and after 4 days they come out in a second. The holes of injector are very fine I couldnt see them even with small magnifying glass.
    Sharing few pictures of chain system and opened up engine. DSC_0418.jpg DSC_0419.jpg DSC_0420.jpg DSC_0422.jpg DSC_0423.jpg DSC_0424.jpg DSC_0425.jpg DSC_0426.jpg DSC_0427.jpg DSC_0428.jpg DSC_0429.jpg DSC_0430.jpg DSC_0431.jpg DSC_0432.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    12 people like this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice info about inside details of our engine, i would be happy to see some markups with wriitten about the parts name in the above pic.
    i want to save this on my pc.
  10. What was the torque used to tighten the bolts?