1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Even I had that noise before chain replacement, first it was faint but gradually it became metal grinding noise at cold start for few secs and used to happen say once in 20 starts.
    Going to replace complete set(chain, guide and teeth) at FNG in next service as I am again feeling some faint krrrr noise from chain area should have changed complete set without giving heed to what ASS people said.
    Maybe something to do with how I drive or rather abuse the MJD pushing complete 209 nm torque to wheels 60% of times in city and complete 90 horses on highways. I wish Linea had a bigger engine so that I don't have to be past 2k rpms all time and a 6th gear so that I can cruise at 120-130 km/hr with tachometer showing a lazy 2100 rpm.
    Labor charges are too high at ASS bloody 5k whereas in FNG it is lower than even the periodic interval service charges and long live Maruti Genuine Parts for their easy availability. Would also be getting head opened for removing the broken glow plug at same time would get to see how much wear and tear is there in valves, piston and cylinder post 1 lac kms.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    When i opened up my timing chain at 40k kms i found that the tensioner was getting stuck. I used to hear ^^^ similar noises on cold start. The issue started right after 30k kms. I drive 99% in the city.
    I take utmost care of changing the oil at 7500kms. Still the tensioner was jamming. The chain had no slack, the adjuster pads were almost brand new.

Got the whole kit changed. Peace of mind.
  3. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What was the cost including labor ?
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Italia
    if i go to TATA Pandit sangli for timing chain replacement,how much damage to pocket shall i expect ?
  5. anicaution

anicaution Amatore

Kolhapur
    Hi All,

I really not given attention to these posts. Because as per my information Timing Chain replacement was only applicable to 75 HP.

My punto has done so far 1,14,000 KM's and I do not see any symptoms about noise.

May be we need to find out life of Timing Chain as designed my manufacturer.

Anicaution
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Actually timing chain replacement was applicable only for 90bhp linea and punto.

well since you have already crossed 1 lacs i seriously suggest you to immediately change the timing chain before it swaps and your engine goes for a toss and major expenses.

The timing chain replacement would cost you around 8-9k
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    The circular from Fiat mentioned only Linea MJD. Logic behind that is still a mystery
  8. Italia-Linea,

Can you give details of what part name/number needs to be replaced, pointing to 99 RPM site would be of great help.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    shams,
    have you asked about this to FIAT officials ?
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    punto 75
    55221385 timing chain
    59089477 driving gear/crankshaft sprocket
    59089472 driven gear/camshaft sprocket
    59089482 auto tensioner/chain stretcher
    59089471 Pad/MOVING SHOE,TIMING CHAIN
    59089475 Pad/FIXED SHOE CHAIN

Linea
    46804589 timing chain