1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Agreed,but how will you define proactiveness in terms of KMS ? when timing chain failed @60K Kms for 75 HP ?

if we consider the normal life of timing chain is 1,00,000 KMs,under indian road conditions eventhough if we deduct few thousand KMS it should last till 80K Kms and this should be the point of proactiveness ?
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have certain amount of faith in destiny. Good or bad, if something is supposed come your way, it's bound to come. By being proactive, you may be able to reduce magnitude in case of a bad situation.
    Replacing it after four years or 60,000 kms looks a better option, though FIAT doesn't say anything about timing chain for 75 HPs. I have suggested my friend, who owns a 75hp and has done 60k+ in 2.5 years, to replace the timing kit. He . He completed 60k service recently.
  3. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My uncle's Verna Timing ( chain / belt ) gone kaput and it costed him 65000 Rs for repairs. ODO was around 76k kms.
    I think we should replace it between 60k - 75k in 75HP.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    OT but I am curious to know if posts in my ownership thread suggest/indicate these? i agree that few posts might, but is that the overall feel?;)
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You are right and i dont want that pocket bomb to come from sivakasi :D , i have done 74K Kms on my punto i will visit TASS this weekend.

- - - Merged Post - - -

shashank,
    yeah i'm on edge. :D
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I know you have touched 185 or so, but mine was just a question whether pushing the engine leads to such issues in future. I have read many others having touched or crossed 160+. Another person may have touched 190 multiple times and his car would be still doing fine without any damage to engine. As I said, mine just a genuine doubt.
    I think this (life of critical parts) is something that FIAT should answer. :)
  7. You are scaring me. I will check with the service center immediately. I haven't noticed any such sound, even if there was some sound I would have thought it is from the link rod or engine gaurd. From where is it audible inside the cabin or outside.
  8. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Better get it replaced to have peace of mind :)
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Before i got the timing chain replaced in my Linea there used to a Krrrrrrrr sound immediately for a few seconds after a cold start.
    Vanished after chain replacement,may be you guys can check for that.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    even i mistook that sound and thought it was coming from engine/sump guard. drive at lower rpms with least amount of throttle input till it is replaced.