1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I have asked the below question to KHT and Vecto -
    Still to be answered,
    Is it the Timing chain alone to be replaced or the entire kit by deafault? Is there any recommendation by FIAT to change the entire kit or the timing chain alone ? Do the service center personnel decides on the same whether to change the entire kit or the chain alone based on the condition of the car ?
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    It's been over an year since the circular was passed but there is still no clarity.

Also, the circular clearly says Linea and there is no mention of Punto 90 HP any where in the circular. The SC does not think that Timing chain replacement is required on a pUnto 90 HP and it i specific to Linea.

Im not sure how can the policy be so lame when both Linea and Punto 90 HP have the same engines. This is really confusing.
  3. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    As per Service Center Its the Kit entirely.
    In my Linea after 56K km I can hear the tang tang sound of timing chain while starting, and engine sound has increased, more vibration, more kad kad sound upon hard acceleration, this is the symptom for replacement I feel.

- - - Merged Post - - -

It looks like in case of point 2, parts other than the timing chain should be covered under extended warranty ?I am very much confused now. A failure means what ? A chain which is not working as expected and observed during 60K service or a total failure when you cannot start the car ?
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Couple of informative articles on Timing belts/chains:

If there was a ticking time bomb under your hood, would you keep on driving until it went off? Although a broken timing belt or chain won't kill you, it can certainly strand you in the middle of nowhere. (In these violent times that might just be a matter of life and death!) On some cars a broken timing belt could bend valves. This COULD DESTROY YOUR ENGINE: an expensive proposition indeed!
    Read full article:Timing Belt,Chain,repair,replace,change,symptoms,bad,bend valve

Opening and closing the intake and exhaust valves in precise synchronization with the up and down strokes of the pistons requires very accurate timing. At idle, the time interval between valve openings for each cylinder is about a fifth of a second. At 5,000 rpm it is about two hundredths of a second.
    In a four-stroke engine, the intake and exhaust valves open and close every other revolution of the crankshaft, so the cam only turns at half engine speed. That is why cams have big gears on the end and crankshafts have little gears. The drive ratio is two to one, so at 3000 rpm the cam is turning at 1500 rpm.
    Read full article:Timing Chains, Gears & Belts
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    shams,
    agree what you said, but still timing chain should last atleast 1,00,000 Kms or 4 years ? if not maintianing FIAT car is very expensive
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Ganges, ideally it should, but in rare cases like mine it can give trouble with less mileage also so we should be alert for any signals(noise) from the chain.
    I feel there was some kind of feeble sound from my car for a couple of days which i mistook to be something from the sump guard since i had jumped a speed breaker a day before that.
  7. For my Punto 90 HP 45K service, I reported to the SA saying the performance is poor, Pushing to 2500 RPM feels like Redlining the engine. The Engine roars, but no speed gain felt. long since I have pushed the car to more than 2500 RPM. After diagnosis he said the Timing Chain has to be replaced under warranty. Still waiting for the parts for more than a week.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    escalate it with dealer's higher ups. if their diagnosis is correct and chain really requires replacement, you are sitting on a time bomb!!

Do you hear any feeble metallic sound while idling/low speeds?
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    shams,
    if that was your rare case then you should be eligible for the warranty and not EW as FIAT have not mentioned anywhere about the timing chain replacement for 75 hp nor the TASS/FASS have this information.You have done 60K Kms service recently.Why didnt the service guys identified the sound ?You should definitely fight for this.
    i doubt on the quality of tiing chain used,it have been failed nearabout 40K Kms less usage.

P.S:- its a real nuclear bomb and i'm also afraid of it.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Does early damage to the timing system have anything to do with demanding more than what is actually required from an engine or pushing it to the limits, or stress testing. Many may not agree with this. But are our roads really meant for such over-work for the engines, be it FIAT or any other.
    This question came to my mind the other day and I thought of asking it here, but didn't want to panic anyone. Now that this discussion is on a dedicated thread, I thought I will put it here.
    Whatever it be, after reading Shams' experience, I think it makes sense to replace it proactively, to be on the safer side for us as well as our vehicles.