1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    Do lower arms need replacement unless they are whacked and bend in an accident? Thought only the ball joint and bushings need replacement
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ^^ Ganges, Didn't your car get a timing chain replacement during the 60 K service. Is it still only for the 90 HP engines that the replacement is required?
  4. maheshr

maheshr Timido

I got my car back today. I had refused to replace timing chain, brake pads, suspension components etc and only approved to do 60 k service ( I will do these things either at an FASS when our city will have one or at a reliable mechanic buy getting parts from Kava) . So all fluids, filters etc changed. Total bill was 10,959. SA said brake pads and liner are completely worn out and they wont even last a couple of hundred kms. But when I visually checked them it looks like pads have more life left. Tomorrow I will post pics of the same.

I also had smiliar experience with MM in the past. Once they kept my linea for 1 week. When I get my car back blue n me was not working and odo was blinking while am driving to home. One mat was burned which they said a blown test lamp may be the reason. Wiper replaced to a defective one, etc. When I get my car at 6 pm svc was going 2 close so I had to go there next day to replace the fuse. My home is 50 kms away from there so driving that much distance to replace a small fuse because of svc peoples's negligance not a good thing.

When I asked the same thing to him he said it includes lower arm, link road replacement etc.

Warranty is going 2 over in 2 months. today I got my carback and I asked about the 65 k splitup. He showed me some calculatons and it went upto 40 k and he said including labour it will be 55 to 60 k.

I already replaced elastic pads 2 months ago. SA says rack is fine so lower arm and link rods are the culprint. I have heared so many good reviews about MM and bad reviews too. But my experience with them is horrible. No we have no choice as of now...
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    vj_v1,
    the service was done as per the circular from Fiat and it mentioned only fluid change.No chain replacememnt. i think its only for 90 hp and linea.
  6. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore
    The reason for 60k service to be costly is they replace all the fluids
    Engine oil, brake oil, transmission oil, power steering oil, coolant. The spares cost comes to 7000 and labour would be 1500.

Now along with this the timing kit has to be replaced so the 7500 spares for the kit and 5500 for that labour.

Front brake discs usually last according to driving stile....so they cost about 3k a set. The front pads 3k a set.
    The rear brakes 3.5k a set.

Front brake labour 450 rs
    Rear brake liner labour 450rs. All without tax.

Thats the reason maybee 60k service bill goes high....
    1 person likes this.
  7. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    So guys whats the conclusion now.
    Do 75hp needs Timing chain replacement or not?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  8. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Mahesh you always has this option of checking it with a local mechanic & take a second opinion. For the brake pads I guess any local mechanic can identify easily. Even MM asked me to polish the rotors when I went there for brake pad replacement. I told them that I am replacing the pads even before the brake pad is fully worn out (this would make a squeaking sound when the metal -metal rubs) & whether there is a need for polishing then . After thinking for a while the SA called up a mechanic & asked him to check the condition of the rotor . Then the mechanic replied that the rotor condition is good & luckily I ended up in paying just for the pads. But on the technical side it is good to polish the rotors if it had been used with worn out pads for long as it would have created uneven surface on the rotors & the pads will worn out easily.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  9. samanth passi

samanth passi

ncr
    hello all, i had got my linea serviced from outside (60,000 kms) and i have driven around 12,000 more!!!I just paid the following:

cost , TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    1.Castrol edge 4 lits- Rs 3600 , 1900 (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    2.Oil filter 1 unit- Rs70 ,326 (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    3.Air filter 1 unit-Rs 215 , 290 (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    3.Engine flush 1 can-Rs175 , 350 (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    4.Front disc pads 1 pair-Rs 1200(original fiat) , 2000 (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    5.Front disc tuning labor- Rs 200 , 5000(aprox)(part only) (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    6.Timing belt(Free of cost since got a call from TASS(ABS MOTORS) fiat is upgrading timing belt free of cost,saved 4000 on that)
    7.A/C Front pipes repair labor-Rs 200 , 36,000(change) (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    8.Gas refilling -Rs1100 . 2000 (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    9.A/c inside filter cleaning -Rs100 , 1100(change) (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    10.Wheel alignment -Rs150 , 600 (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    total -Rs 7010 , 47766(aprox) (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    labor charges -Rs 500 , 4000 (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)
    total Rs 7510 , 51766 (TASS ESTIMATED COST(ABS MOTORS)

I am driving my linea for say 6-7 months now no issues faced(leaving a small problems in brakes) other then that my car is a rocket and gives me a average of around 14-15 in city and 24 in highway!!!I do not believe in paying so much to TASS when i could get the job done from outside at very cheap rates and with better quality levels!!!
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3

Hi Samanth,

how did you get the OEM spares and who was the mechanic you visited???