1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. maheshr

maheshr Timido

Thank you for welcoming me Subramanya. Yes, it was my first post here but I joined in TFI some months ago and being a hardcore FIAT fan I was reading all the threads on TFI since years without participating or posting. The reason is, being an online marketer I am already participating in many forums so I don't have much time. I owned a Palio 1.2 ELX in the past and sold it. Then bought a fiesta. But Linea was my dream car since it launched in India. Fiesta couldn't gave me the legendary driving pleasure the plaio was giving me. So i sold off fiesta in 2011 and bought a used 2009 model Linea MJD in 2012 which was clocked 40 k kms. I can't drive other cars, I am addicted to FIAT . But sadly quality of fiat vehicles worries me a bit. thats another story...

now odo reads 50 k. So it will be max 60 k by next year considering my low running.
    I am aware of the fiat's new timing chain replacement policy since they shot the circular. I am happy to change it but I am really unhappy with TASS. After every service I done in any TASS (for my old palio too) it became diasters. I wanted to do it in an exclusive fiat service center but in trivandrum still no FASS. It will take another 3 months or more
    Extented warranty is going to end on June I think. And EW is still in first owners name and I am not sure if anything happen they will accept EW or deny it by saying silly reasons.
    I will definitely update once I get the service done. Thankyou
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Exorbitant! and u used correct words " day light robbery.

I paid around Rs 1200 + tax as labour to change the chain from Om sai Motors , Bombay although other dealers like wasan, fortune, Tata shop was charging rs 4000 as labour.Total cost including parts (Chain, Pads, Tensioner), was around Rs. 5000.this was done in Aug 2012 .I thinnk U should the prices of the individual parts to come to the total cost.

Can u elaborate the gears part... u have mentioned in paarts.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  3. maheshr

maheshr Timido

Today morning SA called me and said that disc pads and rear liners should be replaced and it will cost another 20 k. I
    asked why these much charges since pads cost around 3 k and liner would be around 4 k. He replied that need to polish
    rotors from outside. And they also need toreplace lower arms, all four shocks, bearing, etc. etc. I asked what will be the
    total bill? he said around 65 k only. I said to do the 60 k service only then I will do the other works when our city will
    have exclusive fiat service center. He said, don't blame us when something happen on your car after leaving here and your
    warranty will be void too. Then I asked since the bill will be over 65 k,. anything can be done with extended warranty. He
    said that is not possible because they are wear and tear items. So I asked why all these things like lower arms and other
    suspension things are worn out so early (50k on odo), he said it is our bad roads.

So I they worn out so early on fiat cars, I think fiat should also include "Paid Service Loans" too when they launch their
    financial services. My car had every services on every 10 k kms and every things mentioned in the manual was performed too.
    mostly ran on highways. And this time my only compliant was grinding noise from suspension plus steering when I turn
    steering slowly and when passing bumps slowly. I did a lower arm set replacement 3 months ago at another svc but problem is
    still there and the SA says it will be the shocks.

So if this is the case with fiat cars, I think I should sell it ASAP and stay away from FIAT for the rest of my lifetime. I can't spent 65 k on every 50 k kms on a 10 lac car. I had other cars in the past ran over 1 lac kms and never had any problems like this. So my love about FIAT is going 2 end.:evil:
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    WHat the hell is this 65K INR for 60K Kms service,why dont you write a mail to fiat officials ?

Yes.
  5. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    maheshr pls get your car diagnosed at some other TASS/FASS. Sounds like they are over charging and simply insisting to change the parts.
  6. maheshr

maheshr Timido

I don't know he calculated it wrong or not. But over the phone he said the cost will be 60 k and said the names of lot of things. I asked for a breakup so he said, 14 k for 60 k service, 12 k for timing chain replacement, 25 k for brake pads, liner, lower arm, suspension etc. I asked to perform the 60 k service only. WHen I get my car back I will check it with an expert mechanic.

There is no other svc in our city as of now. Mohandas is the only one and they are going 2 open a FASS within 3 months. But I will get it checked by an expert mechanic.
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mahesh, its really sad to know the state of affairs in mohandas now. after kulathunkal leaving the race, i think their monopoly is making them more arrogant like this and there are numerous complaints against them from many of our trivandrum TFIans itself.. i dont know if i ll leave them for my third service next month, instead i ll do it outside...
    when i went there to show my wiper jet pump not working n thought of claiming it in warranty, the sa there was so arrogant and even before sending it for warranty claims, he outright rejected warranty for me claiming i had an accident before as if he is the supreme authority there !! the pump is in left side and i had a hit in right side once n still he is flatly refusing to send it for warranty claims, i just got out from there without fighting with him anymore !!
    another member fayad gave his punto for first service there and they screwed it, didnt wash, didnt check allignment, soiled the new grey fabric seats with grease n oil all around.
    see another recent case here: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/linea-1-3-mjd/9540-one-year-my-bronzo-2.html#post169588
    they kept the car for more than a week and gave it back without doing anything and bluffing to the owner that technician not there, experts not there etc when he was there already !! have asked him to shoot a mail, hope thing change afte r repeated complaints go to the company, else with just 1 horrible FASS , it ll be a total mess for us fiatians in trivandrum to survive with our fiats !!
    In a way, competition is good, for the customers, havent had any probs with kulathunkal here for last two years !!
  8. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

65K estimate for 60K Service for a Linea,I wont call it robbery even,this is pure foolishness,was the service advisor on a high???
    Is your car still under warranty?,if not why not service it yourself from a reliable mechanic,all OEM parts are available in open market at much lesser rate than quoted by aftersales.
  9. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ridiculous...please raise your concern to FIAT Officials... 20k for brake pads and Rotors ? for Polishing he is quoting 13k :shocked....Yes ..Service Adviser must have drunk .
    1 person likes this.
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You have to replace the mounts : 3700/- for the part + 300/- for the cap (if its not already there)
    The MM story has reduced my confusion, I am not giving my car there for timing chain replacement to save 3k, better to get it done in a more reliable SC in Bglore :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

This is the mail I got from KHT, dont have the split up, but looks like the chain is not the expensive part, and a kit replacement would be better, considering the number of kms my car has covered, and the number its looking forward as well :)