1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Guys,

Why wait for any symptom to appear so as to think of timing chain replacement. As things stand, replacement at 60k is just a preventive maintenance measure. And bear in mind once any symptom starts appearing it means some amount of damage is already happening inside. 9/10 times the timing chain will not give up slowly but with a bang, an expensive bang. So the choice is yours.

FIAT has deliberately kept the interval at a ridiculously small value - 60k -so as to minimise chain failures. Some have lasted much more some havent. The 75hp Punto I mentioned in last post had covered 89,000km's when the timing chain snapped and fortunately driver was safe and damage limited to a broken camshaft only.

But like they say in England - you pays yer money. :)

Cheers.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    And to replace the timing chain it does not cost too high too. It should cost around 1000 bucks + 800 odd labour, so why take a chance. The broken chain can cause a lot of damage to the cam chain, connecting rods, valves, and the internal components. Once this happens there will be huge bill.
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Here in this post, the timing chain costs only <1000 and inc labour, it comes to 4k..
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/technical...eduled-periodic-maintenance-3.html#post118816
    if it was 1k + some 800 odd labour, everyone would be happily chaging it at 60k kms !! but actually, for pran, they quoted some 12-13k for timing chain replacement. is it some daylight robbery happening?
  4. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    If you dont question them, they charge you a very high labour. Otherwise, this should not cost you 3k labour, the dont remove too many things for matter let me take the pics from the engine bay and illustrate.

Anybody getting the timing chain changed, do question the labour amount.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i want to avoid the cause of broken chain with its effects on other components.
    My car have mostly done highway run,now clocked near about 65K Kms.So what you think about my timing chain replacement schedule(after how many KMS) ?

What are the causes of failure of timing chain ?

Does this failure is influenced by certain driving habits (eg acceleration, shifiting at certain RPM, or other factors ?? ) Or it is the quality of the material used for timing chain as time passes durability deccreases (Stretching)?
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    It's always wise to change the entire kit and not just the chain and hence you would've been quoted the entire amount rather than the Chain + Labor.

As said above it would be wise to change the tensioner bearings as well.
  7. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The tensioner bearing is quite robust, unless the bearing is not in a good condition the existing one should be good enough.
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dont think its some daylight robbery, Varun Laxman of KVR, Kannur quoted 3300-3700/- as labour, part price remains the same and its not 1k, its 6.5k.

Below is the details I got from KHT, Bangalore. Chain alone might be <1k but looks like the entire kit needs replacement.
    Part discreption Price Labour.

1) Timing kit (chain,pad-2,tensioner,gears-2) ----- 6500 5500+Tax

2) Sealent-- ------------------------------ 1200

Total 7700+5500=13200 +Tax

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  9. maheshr

maheshr Timido

Guys, today I gave my Linea MJD (2009) to Mohandas motors for 5th (60k) service. They says the cost for service will be 14 k and timing chain replace will be around 10 k.. So total cost will be over 25k. But my odo is around 50 k only and it is running fine, no performance loss....chain noise etc. Should I replace timing chain now or refuse it and do it in next service (by that time my car will be around 60k)
  10. Hi Mahesh,

Shows up as your first post. Congrats and do update and share your experiences with us, fellow TFI'ans.

Firstly, i think your next service will be at 75k or the time frame, whichever comes earlier. In your case, it seems, you are reaching time limits early than KM's covered.

I think FIAT has now included timing chain replacement in it's service instructions for 60k service(or related time frame). So means to say it's part of regular service activity and hence, cost of the part will have to be paid. Having said that, I will say :

1. It's better to get it done, warranty claims or related issues not withstanding later.
    2. May be you can verify the price with different people, in our forum here, who have already done through this and get an idea whether what Mohandas is quoting a correct price .Let me see, if I can update with you what I paid for my Punto( It's really some time back and have to dig deep to get that bill :)). But I don't think I paid that much.

Do update and all the best for you and your MJD.:)
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013