1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    rahul,
    i have done my 5th service,there is no such requirement of timinig chain replacement for 75 HP punto.
    it is mandatory only for 90hp and linea
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    dont simply change the belt because someone told you to
    Some of the classic cases of timing belt issues are

1.) rough idling , even when the car is up to temperature when your idling the noise would sound coarse and there will be excessive vibration of the car body, this can be felt easily.
    2.) starting trouble, the car wont crank properly or takes unusually long to start
    3.) engine sputtering, backfire are some of the other symptoms.

Please take a look at it and observe if you have such issues .
    Please compare your vehicles with similar vehicles to take a call.
    Timing belt replacement is a costly affair so be advised , dont simply spend money
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    please elaborate on this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Combustion or explosion of fuel that occurs outside the chambers of a car’s internal combustion engine, in the exhaust manifold or intake manifold, is known colloquially as ‘Engine Backfiring’.

More info here
    Engine Backfiring Problems | Automotive Repair Guide
    1 person likes this.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The prudent thing is to get it replaced. There was a 75hp owner at TASS who suffered a broken timing chain.

So i wouldnt bet any money on the fact that only 90hp engines are prone to timing chain replacements.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i always had a doubt,if i accelerate too fast or in hurry sometimes we release the clutch early with accel pedal almost to metal and this results in the jerk due to sudden power,all this affect on timing chain ?

recetly i have seen a Mahindra - Scorpio, from its exhaust i have found fire particles as welll ? what might be the reason ? (i have informed the driver about that the exhaust he stoppped and i went off)
  7. Hi, thanks for the replies. Actualy Fiat service centre recommended to change it. I have asked him to show me the Fiat recommendation for this replacement. They have recomended to change it.
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I had got some work done on my Punto 1.3 MJD (76 BHP) at Oberoi motors NOIDA recently. My 60,000 km/4 yr servicing is due this Dec. I was informed by the SA that now timing chain replacement at 60000 kms is warranted. It will cost a little over Rs 10k.

I plan to get it done.

Regards
    Johnny
  9. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My service booklet mentioned the replacement of timing chain at 60k service, I am surprised to see that this is a recent update from Fiat. And for me the SA recommended not to change the timing chain after checking it at the 75k service. At 93k I am yet to notice any of the symptoms mentioned by Sham (theblack), now more confused on whether I should go for a replacement. Yes it is an expensive replacement, part price is 6500/-, labour (in KA) is 5500/- (~3500 in KL), sealant 1200/-.
    I remember reading in Mandeeps thread where he replaced the timing chain at 146k
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3...5-000-kilometers-completed-33.html#post127395
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3...5-000-kilometers-completed-34.html#post141026
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Pran, you need to replace it only if you start feeling the symptoms i've mentioned.
    Look at it this way, your car has done 93K without any problems.
    FIAT was launched in 2009 which means the 2+2 yrs warranty of your car is going to end by this year end and you only have another 7 months to deal with it after which even if you have a timing belt issue you will have to pay from your pocket anyway.

One might argue in these 7 months anything can happen, Yes you are right anything can happen but a car that has done 93K and going strong has little to look back and falter .
    It would be pure bad luck should anything catastrophic happens but that's a risk i'm willing to take, if i were you.

Its about 10-12k to get the whole thing replaced why spend it now when you know there is nothing wrong, when you have to spend that money anyway post this december?
    Think about it
    1 person likes this.