1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Timing Chain Replacement now a part of 60k Scheduled Periodic Maintenance

The 20k figure is obviously blown up, guys. Other than this replacement, maintenance costs are the same irrespective of the number of horses.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

60K Service also involves replacement of all the fluids in the car.
    Without the timing chain replacement the service costs around 10K,so you can easily calculate cost with timing chain replacement.
    And this is normal service,i am not counting on wear and tear parts that may need replacement.
    And i agree,its just the timing chain part that differs between 75HP and 90HP,rest everything is similar.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The official parts book for the Punto states the same part number - for the timing chain- for both 75 and 90 engines. And it is exactly the same number as written on the invoice posted by Driv3r on the previous page and by Varin11 in his Linea.

The parts book of the Linea mentions a different number - which if i hazard a guess, is obsolete now. If my deduction is correct, all engines, 75 and 90 are now getting the same timing chain - i.e. Part # 55221385. Which is the way it should've been from the start.

Cheers.
    3 people like this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I didn't know this and raises an immediate question in my mind. If both are same, why would Fiat is suggesting replacement only for the 90HP engines?

Did any Punto 75 or 90HP owners replaced the chain as part of 60k service recently?
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

My 90HP's was replaced just before delivery, ramjn and the same invoice is posted on the previous page. Item number 4.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Your case is different DRIV3R. I want to know if any Punto's Chain was replaced during the 60k service.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Possible scenario - The 90hp engines initially had different timing chains than their 75hp counterparts. Due to any X reason, Fiat decides to give all the engines a common chain.

The baffling part about the above scenario is - why were the two engines given different chains in the first place?

Other baffling part - If the motto for the replacement interval was only to get existing VGT engine owners to have their chains replaced, why are new cars also liable for a 60k timing kit replacement? Wouldn't they already have the 55221385 chains from the factory itself?

Cheers.
  8. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

2012 Models seem to have a newer chains,do not understand why do they still have to go through 60K replacement cycle.
    that has to be one of lowest intervals for replacing timing chain.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    75 bhp and 90bhp engines never had different timing chains.
    Read my post on previous page.
  10. I have given my Punto 1.3 Disel Emotion for service today, total running is 65000 Kms mine is 75Hp model purchased in Nov 2009, now Fiat service centre is telling me to replace the timing chain, and have suggested me that this recomended by Fiat do anybody have any clue about this.