1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Timing Chain Replacement now a part of 60k Scheduled Periodic Maintenance

Here is the invoice. Items 4 and 5 (2k approx) plus labor charges would be applicable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I think they have replaced just the chain only and used the older gears. I surely wish FIAT ask their dealers to put in the entire kit when changing it. Replacing just the chain makes no sense. Maybe they want to reduce the warranty costs or any other reason - but it's not right.

1 person likes this.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Gurjinder actually Fiat have asked dealers to change the chain only and other parts only if showing wear(got it confirmed from fiat cust head of our region). Do you think Cam gear gets so damaged in 60k only unless the chain is too loose the guides and tentioner takes the abuse before the gears suffer. Haven't seen a broken down car due to this reason so don't know if its due to chain getting loose and missing a tooth or two on cam gear or breaking off due to stress.
    According to me it's a preventive measure from Fiat for lessening warranty claims due to broken chains. Before this circular came many cars had done above 1 lac kms with original timing kit. Though some cars had breakdowns it were not very common and may be due to other reasons like overloading, poor maintenance etc.

60k is a very small interval for chain change it's less than even the timing belt replacement period recommended by some other manufacturers. To me it seems like Chains that were installed in MJD's were faulty/defective and Fiat was loosing too much money changing them on so many car's(almost 80 % of fiats sold would be diesel according to me) so they issued a circular to change them every 60k kms and be done with warranty replacements forever. It's only in India that chain interval is specified as 60k kms by Fiat while the same engine is used worldwide in Grande Punto and Linea and weighing same (Even the SX4 weighs almost equal to Linea would have to see if Maruti too recommends it for SX4 and Ertiga which weighs even more than Linea). Most probably while localizing parts Fiat passed low quality chains without checking them thoroughly.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
    5 people like this.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I agree with Vijay,60K Interval is too less,for people like me who do 30K a year,i will be looking at replacing the timing chain again by end of year.Ford Figo has timing belt i believe,and replacement interval is 100K kms,even in case of my Petrol hyundai,i had replaced rubber timing belt at 80K kms.Timing chains are supposed to be much more robust than belts,do not understand why this puny 60K interval.

With this,cost of 60K service for a Linea has gone upto 24-25K.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Right on Vijay.

A faulty chain batch replacement could well have been the reason behind this premature service schedule for the timing chain. As even old school engines (with chains) went for donkey miles before needing.to change their timing chains. Even some old Toyotas with timing belts had intervals as high as 1 lakh km's.

But still i hope they didnt make the gear replacement non-mandatory so as to reduce the financial hit the customer will take. Chains and sprockets wear in to each other , even if at 60k and mixing old and new stuff is really not right in my book. But that's just my book.

6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

U have to change the chain with the pads and tensioner.the pads are plastic and thy wear out. So the parts involve chain, pads, tensioner, sealant and other part is labour. I paid Rs.1400 for labour at om sai, Mumbai while Other SC like wasan , fortune all were charging 4000 as labour.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

No the reason is not yet found. Neither FIAT nor the timing chain supplier are able to understand the reason for chain elongation only on 90bhp MJD engine and that too only in India.
    They have tried several tests on the test rig and the results dint show any elongation or any problem in the chains.
    Strangely the problem occurs only in the cars being driven on indian roads. Same timing chains are fitted in Europe and are supplied by same vendor and surprisingly there is no issue on those 90bhp mjd engines.

So to be on a safer side fiat has changed the interval to 60k kms period. Chain elongation causes performance problems.
    1 person likes this.
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

This is a very strange behaviour from the standardized chains. The only difference between Europe and Indian conditions is the dust and the fuel quality. My doubt is , if the engine is getting strained due to the poor quality of fuel and also the struggle the engine faces due to clogged air filters in Indian conditions that are being made to work for 15K kms. I feel Fiat should reduce the change interval from 15K to 7.5K. IMO in straining conditions, the engine is forced to surge with the turbo kicking in and loading the timing chain.

SHASHANKREDDY likes this.
  9. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I got my Punto 90 HP 60k serviced @ TCRS just few days back. When asked, the SA informed me that its not mandatory in the 90HP Punto to replace the Timing chain @ 60K. As there was absolutely no chain noise in my car, it has not been replaced.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Difference in 15 Horses costs a bomb to pocket :mad:
    especially till 60K Kms one will change the tires,suspension(definitely Krr ,Trr sounds),break pads,@60K Kms 5th paid service and finally 20K INR for timing chain replacement. all contributes big bomb in installemnts to pocket.if once 30K Kms on ODO one should think about saving for the car maintainance. is it right ?