1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Replacing a timing chain is not an open heart surgery for the engine.
    If done in one go,its just a 2 hours job.
    @gurjinder i am not sure,when they replaced mine,i had to pay for chain guide,and a few other consumables,and an engine oil/filter change.
    the total bill was around 5K.
  2. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I can't do it unless there is a failure, which in my case other than sound no issues. Also getting a part replaced in extended warranty may not be as smooth like standard warranty. Better I take proper care and may be able to use it few thousands km more after 60K :) .

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yes Gurjinder is right. The total cost of parts is around 7-8 k + 4-5k labour, I talked to KHT yesterday, it will be around 13-14K total.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Do you remember if the two gears were changed? Common practice to skip them and only install new chain on old gears.

Don't push the chain beyond 60K even if it means you have to pay for it from your pocket. 60K is ridiculously low for a timing chain - but what to do! The damage a failed / stretched chain does to an engine is really tremendous. I saw it first hand on a Manza Quadrajet. :(

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Damn; that much labour for just timing chain replacement is daylight robbery.
    And dont worry,your engine wont go bad in 8K kms,60K is the recommended interval,and fiat just introduced it a year back,before that many cars had done much more kms without any chain replacement.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is absolutely correct. Only the VGT engine will have the timing chain replacement at 60k.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Fiat Grande Punto MJD Emotion Pk

Ramesh, I remember reading in the 75HP's owners manual too, that the timing chain has to be replaced at 60K as part of periodic service. It's not only for the VGT engines.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I will check this out in the manual but all the forums are talking about timing belt change in 90bhp variant only.

2012 Fiat Linea sedan and Grande Punto hatchback diesels being tested with new timing chain; Possible recall on the cards, in an ICB Exclusive - Indian Cars Bikes

Link above says the same.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Timing Chain Replacement now a part of 60k Scheduled Periodic Maintenance

^ That talks about the recall that happened and not any maintenance procedure. Please refer the manual and confirm.

The timing chain was replaced for my 90HP before delivery, I have the invoice with me, let me get back and post the prices.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Re: Timing Chain Replacement now a part of 60k Scheduled Periodic Maintenance

Timing chain replacement is only for VGT engines for sure. Akshay4384 opened that thread and the circular was mentioning only 90HP engines.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Amit, check first post, that is the only official information/circular available.
    And it clearly says it is only applicable for 90HP.

Not really, the replacement was done for any failure, before 60K and was told to change at 60K, on chargeable basis.

As per manual, for 75HP -
    1 person likes this.