1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @varin11 I suggest you take your car to some other TASS for their version of diagnosis.I heard your audio clip clearly with headphones and there indeed is some extra noise also the idle is not constant revs are going up and down as the noise indicates mostly around 30 -45 secs part of your clip that was not noticable on laptop speakers.
    May be the pads they used are faulty or the oil spraying nozzle is blocked due to some dust particle stucking in holes when cover was opended. Did they changed pads also second time or only timing chain.
    My FE got up from 11-13kmpl to 15-16 kmpl in city heavy traffic and a medium pressure on acc pedal, when dad drives returns above 16 always and as ususal on highway above 20 kmpl always. Avg Consumption of trip A after 1559 kms is 17.6 kmpl(city and highway mixed) and Trip B Avg reading is 15.7 kmpl for last 150 kms city only.
    This is how my car sounds now almost same as it sounded 1 year ago, please ignore cricket krr krr noise coming randomly at diff parts. Engine was completely cold when video was shot.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  2. scottzinne

scottzinne Timido

Gwalior
    @Arain

Take print out of circular, show them. then only they will convince that it needs to be changed. Same thing happened with me.

I got my tourbo hoise pipe changed. As my car was smoking a lot. there was small cut it hose.

After timing belt chain. I feel less clatter inside the car. when engine comes in normal working temperature. diesel clatter is almost gone.
    Atleast my wife says now. " its not sounding as ambassador, as she comment before"
    low speed response is improved.

After change, for few hundred kms. i found little extra voice at around 40 kmph. but now its normal.
    regarding fuel effeciency i can't say much. still to check it on highway runs. for city its giving 13.5 its moreover same as before.

overall satisfied after the work

But getting work done from TASS is more like making 6 year old kid, study. they are horrible with their logics if we go to them with some issues.

Linea Sept Bill.jpg
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Got a confirmation from Turbo Energy Limited(TEL) that the VGT turbo cannot be repaired. The only option is replacement. The FGT turbo can be repaired with the kit they have.
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    TEL may or may not repair the TURBO.This depends upon the fault as some faults cant be rectified or are costly to get rectified. But in EW u get the recon one according to TASS .But according to OM SAi Motor (kandivli mumbai,) service/workshop Manger only TEL Turbos can be repaired.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  5. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    yesterday, I enquired in KHT motors for timimng chain replacement , the SA told me it will cost total 15-16K including all parts , labour etc.
    Has anyone replaced the timing chain recently for Linea MJD ? How mcuh it costs ? From the invoices posted in the thread I am not clear which items
    are part of timing chain replacement.
    SA told we have to replace it at 60K so that the extended warranty is hounoured in case of any problem.

I have an extended warranty till Sept 2013, I have already driven 52K and to reach 60K it will atleast another 6 months.
    Now I feel that have an option of changing the timing chain as need basis since anyways my warranty will not be there after sept 13.

Also some people reported that there was a free upgrade of timing chain for 2009 Lineas, has anyone got it replaced under company recall ?
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I got it replaced under recall in April 2012,but that was just before,it was made a part of preventive maintenance,so you will have to pay for it.
    15-16K seems exorbitant,considering the timing chain costs 1K,and rest of the parts arent that expensive either.

TFI Support - Please don't quote whole post, post only relevant portion.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  7. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks for the info.
    I checked with KHT, the SA opened my details with Chasis number in the computer.
    In recall section in the Page only entry was metal CSC and they already changed it long back.
    No other entry for change.
    However since the FIAT Circular came much after I purchased my car, I will never know whether there was an entry in the past ot not :-?
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Use your car a bit more, cover the rest of the 8000km in 4 months and get it replaced under warranty :evilsmile
  9. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    It would be better to change that as a preventive measure. But 60K is not much a life for modern engines that an open heart has to be done.
    Our Uno D had a Timing belt snap and that was the start of never ending problems like overheating, coolant mixing, loss of power, decompression etc.
    Finally had to part with that member after 13 years of ownership.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The complete kit costs much more which includes the cam gear , chain guide etc. I don't have the exact figure but the total parts cost is 7-8K +