1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. drapkarthik

drapkarthik Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi Guys,
    My 2009 1.3 MJD has completed 85K odd kms in 2 1/2 yrs, The problems i face are excess black smoke when turbo kicks in, Increased engine noise and feel the engine is strained. Advised by the service centre for replacement of turbo connector pipe ( claiming it to have a leak) and to reduce engine noise to change the timing chain and they term it the timing chain kit costing approx 8k + 5k for labour approx:traffic. Suggestions plz. I request the Tech heads to advise me for the same. Will EGR cleaning help me.
    Thanking you
    regards
    Karthik.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I thought punto diesel doesn't require timing chain replacement.

Refer to service manual please.
  3. drapkarthik

drapkarthik Novizio

Bangalore
    No details regarding timing chain given in manual for 1.3 MJD, But details provided for replacement of TIMING BELT in 1.4 fire
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Exactly and hence why do you need to replace it?

You should start looking at Turbo for leakage and EGR etc even before thinking about timing chain.
  5. drapkarthik

drapkarthik Novizio

Bangalore
    That is why i enquired with the showroom people they said Replacement of Timing Kit is added in the latest Punto service manual for 1.3 MJD. Help i am confused.
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Doc - In most probability they don't know what they are talking and giving excuses such as new manual has this etc - typical TATA. To our knowledge they don't change anything within the engine internal so often right? For the benefit of doubt check with any Bangalore TFI'ans who own a 2012 manual to double check this as well.

As I said earlier start checking from the intake including turbo everything is working perfect.
  7. drapkarthik

drapkarthik Novizio

Bangalore
    Thank you, Will have a check with it ....
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    As I remember you're running a Tuning box right?
    Please confirm before I can pour in my suggestions.
  9. drapkarthik

drapkarthik Novizio

Bangalore
    yes boss, Race dyanamics
  10. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I have same issue in my 75bhp done 13000Kms. its being 10 days i was hearing some different sound from engine side. Yesterday i had done my second free services(as i have to drive more than 2k kms route) from Oberoi Cars, Noida and the supervisor told me that timing chain kit need to be replaced. As this is under warranty and i don't need to pay but still i have doubt on Fiat that only 13000Kms and I got timing chain issue. It really very sad part. At one side we say Fiat Punto is best of all hatch and other side its paining a lot when this issue comes up at very early stage. Kindly do advice me about this issue . do i really changed it or is their any other issue which need to be taken care.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012