1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing Chain Free Upgrde for 2009 Linea MJD Vehicles

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ramu_dodda, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ramu_dodda

ramu_dodda Amatore

hyderabad
    You might already know , but just want to post incase any one not aware of this upgrdae.

I visited Mallik Motors ,Hyderabad today as i am hering some sound from Timing belt, he told me that most of the Linea 2009 Model vehicles are required to change the timing belt with free of cost, this upgrade is offered by Fiat under warranty , he also told that engine beating will change(more smooth) with timing belt change.

TASS says if we can provide the Chasis number they can check if that model requires the upgrade.

I have given vehicle today for service and have to see how the engine beat after the change.

Thanks,
    ram.
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    never heard of any timing belt upgrade.my Linea is March 2009 and is under extended warranty.what happens in this case.
  3. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    Any insight if this is applicable to Punto as well?
  4. ramu_dodda

ramu_dodda Amatore

hyderabad
    Sorry It is "timing chain", Yes Even I never know, these TASS people are not telling until we ask them,
    I am not sure about Punto. I think it should be the same with Punto for 2009 model, as they use same Multijet engine ( just tuned to little more power in Linea)
    you can check with TASS by given your chassis no. they can verify if it requires the change.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Even I have heard about timing chain replacement from some owners but haven't confirmed it with ASS. Thanks for the info buddy

MODS :- Make a entry in official recall and upgrade thread
  6. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    mine is a 2009 fire petrol linea. does that require a replacement??
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Even mine is 2009 petrol Linea. So far, I haven't heard anything from Concorde Motors. Petrol Linea has only timing drive belt and does not have any timing chain, IIRC.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    yes they are not replacing them for all vehicles. whenever car goes for service and there is the timing chain noise they replace it. they had also recalled some specific vehicles.

just open your bonnet, ask someone to sit inside the car and switch on and off the engine. if there is timing chain noise you will hear a " Chan Chan clinkkkkkkk" sound.
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

My Punto has very very clear this noise.

However, it comes in morning and goes away with-in 5 kms. But it doesn't come on daily basis. Once I drop some water on the belt and noise got away.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    this seems to be something different. there is no timing belt. there is a timing chain, inside the casing and you cannot put water on it :)

the sound which you are hearing seems to be of alternator/ AC belt. adjust the tension and sound should go