1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing Belt Changed - Emotion Pack PETROL 1.4 FIRE

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Miltz, Jul 8, 2015.

1. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    I got my car after timing belt replacement @ pinnacle fiat yesterday. I have got a few queries. Along with the timing belt replacement they also had to change the ac wiring harness (for which the dashboard was opened) as the blower wasn't working properly. Now after all this work I find that the engine sound has increased inside. On the outside its normal but on the inside engine is pretty audible. It sounds a bit rough( kind of sound you get if the air filter is removed). My spark plugs haven't been changed yet( 6 years 43000kms) & I have bought spare ones to get it changed outside. They said the ignition coil plug is a bit broken so better get it done outside. The car used to sound normal 3 days back when I gave it for the work. What could be the reason for this increased sound? Is it the spark plugs/ timing belt/ dashboard opening? Although they scratched the dashboard here and there, there are no rattles at all. I doubt whether they forgot to put back some damping materials inside the dashboard. Ah this increased sound doesn't make me feel good when driving.. Normal service done a month back & she used to be very smooth. :| Will be changing the spark plugs soon. Should I be worried??
  2. Miltz

Miltz Novizio

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    It should be the dashboard. Fiat AS S are like local mechanics after they complete the job they are left with excess parts which have been missed when reinstall.

Change the spark plugs as they are due for change anyway.

Take the car on an open stretch, windows closed, no ac, no audio, drive to 90kmph and listen carefully for the sound or air coming in to the cabin. Keep some dry facial tissues handy to place on the inside firewall around the blower area.
    OCTANE likes this.
  3. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    @Miltz Thanks for the reply. I was very worried when they said they will be opening the dashboard. As expected there are few scratches near climate control panel and the stereo. I specifically checked everything yesterday and I was happy that there were no rattles and all controls were working fine. The increase in engine sound was felt the moment I started driving it. Everthing else feels the same except the engine note inside. And just found out now that bonnet opening lever doesn't work. Its gone loose and is moving freely.. So I can't open the bonnet now. Will try changing the spark plugs but if that doesn't sort it out trouble ahead for me.
  4. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    @OCTANE the refitting of dashboard must not be up to mark. Or probable the heat/sound insulation used must not have been fitted properly allowing engine bay noise inside cabin. Should not be anything serious though.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 10, 2015 ---
    @Miltz was is required to change the tensioner bearing along with the timing belt. Also in case of auxiliary belt, adding a new belt should suffice or do we need to change the tensioner pulley?
  5. Miltz

Miltz Novizio

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    It is mandatory to change the tensioner when replacing the timing belt as it wears off. Once removed spin it and if u hear some minute grinding or any noise it requires a change.
    Nevertheless change it to avoid any engine damage and labour cost.

The aux tensioner no need to replace.
  6. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    @Miltz Makes sense to change the tensioner bearing for timing belt for precaution..... even though it costs some 2.3k
    Thinking to get my timing belt and bearing changed soon.
  7. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    @Miltz In one of the pics why is the engine wheel made stationery using the metal spanner like thins with 3+1 bolts?
  8. Miltz

Miltz Novizio

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Picture 5 - The spanner like thing is the TOOL used to lock the crankshaft from turning.
    Picture 6 - The camshaft TOOL goes here (missed capturing the tool picture)
    Picture 7 - A better view of where the camshaft TOOL actually goes. Engine front just above the Exhaust Manifold, visible only after removing the Air Filter housing.
  9. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Before fitting a new belt, the timing will be set based on the markings on the gears, so why is the crankshaft locked? Want to know more on this. Have not seen this process of belt change, but have seen on on my old bolero which used a chain. There the mech aligned the gears using the marking and then set the chain.
  10. Miltz

Miltz Novizio

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    I did not see any markings for either TDC / BDC on the block or may be I missed it as I was eager to see where the LOCK TOOLS fix up.

I NOW SEE, there are makings shown in below videos.

The below videos show the importance of correct TOOLS when Timing belt change is being done.

Nice video on use of CAM lock tool

The below link will give a better overview (although this is the crude method of doing the job)
    Point 24 to 28 is not just tricky but requires the knack to understand how much tension i.e. Point 28 "set the tension to the normal setting" should be allowed before tightening the tensioner finally.

http://www.fiatforum.com/punto-mk2-...sporting-cambelt-timing-belt-replacement.html

Your question to learn helped too.

Cheers!!