1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing Belt Changed - Emotion Pack PETROL 1.4 FIRE

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Miltz, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Miltz

Miltz Novizio

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Hi All,

I was going through a number of threads both on Team Fiat and Team-BHP however could not find a single thread which provided information on CHANGE of TIMING BELT for Petrol engines.
    Often Timing Chain was confused with Timing Belt.

I am not a good writer so below is a brief intro and the pictures will help. If you have any questions will be happy to answer them.

I got the Timing Belt changed at 26K kms. Yes its very low running for a 5 year car. But yes its a mandatory change and I could not ignore it knowing the consequences of a failed belt. Moreover the Linea has performed flawlessly with NO change of any mechanical parts other than the consumables. This Linea is Built to Last.

Job done at Pandit Auto Pune - Time required 2 hours max.

Average Technical expertise required, but most important are the TOOLS required.

Here are the pics should be self explanatory.

The metal stool goes below for support once the top engine mount is removed and the bottom engine mount is loosened slightly NOT removed

PS
    Adding pics of the OEM Brake Pads, still left to run another 15K as per the Service Advisor. So no change now.
    The Battery will need a change now as am now getting the warning of Car and Lock sign on Display. It is also OEM Exide.

5.6 yrs

crank pulley removed.jpg

top engine mount removed.jpg

support stool after mountings removed.jpg

both mountings removed timing belt better view.jpg

crank lock tool.jpg

the cam lock tool goes here.jpg

cam lock tool better view.jpg

front brake pad.jpg

front brake pad make.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 8, 2015 ---
    Missed this pic of the bottom engine mounting removed.

bottom engine mount removed.jpg
  2. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    Hey thanks a lot for putting this up. My Linea (Nov 09) is also due for this timing belt change but I couldn't find enough info on this. What was the total cost for timing belt change including labour? Hyson and pinnacle fiat (@ cochin) were quoting very different rates for this. My Linea has done 41k till now and has been going good. My only concern is that dashboard plastics has started getting sticky . :( Will be giving the car for spark plug and timing belt change soon.
  3. Miltz

Miltz Novizio

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Timing belt 537.54
    Tensioner 2242.23
    labour - 1277.37
    ADD Taxes

also changed auxillary belts even though good. kept the old ones as spare (emergency)
    compressor alternator belt - 682.62
    steering belt - 381.30
    labour - 979.32
    ADD Taxes

6875 total paid

NOTE: I confronted Pandit Auto service advisor when he mentioned that the Timing Belt would involve 2 days. I told him stop that bull crap its a max 4 hour job. Finally he spoke to his manager and quoted 430 per hour for a 5.5 hour time required to complete the job.
    Rs 430 x 5.5 hrs = 2365 + Tax

Job was completed in under 2 hours (includes a 15 minute tea break).
    The labour was overcharged but I was happy with the end result and quality work with me supervising the entire process.

You can ask for a discount on labour and I guess 10% is what they would offer at most.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Murphy_Fiat and puntophile like this.
  4. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR

First of all, thanks a ton for this wonderful post! Couldn't appreciate more.

Labour, the lesser said the better! Official rate for Timing belt change is 1200/-. But why almost a thousand rupees for Aux and Steering belt change? Is it as laborious?

Finally, I see one guide template at the bottom for setting the timing belt (the T or wrench shaped lock template in the 5th pic). Was a top template used? I mean the one on the tappet cover side?

Did they do a phonic wheel reset/ECU relearn post the timing belt change? Are you getting similar instantaneous mileage on MID as before the change or does the engine feel a wee bit different? Crank time? Same or different a bit?
  5. Miltz

Miltz Novizio

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Timing belt labour change is flat 2250

The aux belts need to removed for this process and does not involve any labor.
    Debating with these dealers is not worth as there are no labour costs for specific jobs hung up in the service area.

Yes the 5th pic has a tool to lock the crank. If u order on 99rpm u get the lock tools supplied alongwith timing belt, tensioner, kit.

Ecu no reset except battery negative removed.

My car is up for sale, after the job done the engine is now sounding super refined and decided to prolong the sale.

MID FE showed 14.8kmpl for a 22km trip from bavdhan to kharadi in traffic.

Im happy
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  6. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Did you see any specific symptoms that you changed the timing belt?
  7. Miltz

Miltz Novizio

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    No symptoms. Just the fear of the damage in event of a snapped belt as it was 6 months overdue.

The belt n tensioner were in good condition but then this is a scheduled change.
  8. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Somehow after seeing you post even I am thinking of getting the timing belt checked up.
    By the way the labour charge for power steering belt and serpentine belt looks too high if it is as mentioned i.e. 974.

The serpentine belt is with tensioner and easy to change and the power steering belt would need to loosen a nut.
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @Miltz As per Fiat 5 years schedule, all belts (Timing, Alternator, Power steering)and fluids needs to be replaced. Have you replaced the all or only timing belt?
    If not then please replace the remaining too. This will give you the more peace of mind :)
  10. Miltz

Miltz Novizio

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    @ Sanket - In my case they split the labour cost as I was changing the steering and alternator belts. The flat labour cost is approx 2200 for timing belt change and YES the accessory belts need to be removed as the crank pulley itself is removed.
    @ Rishikesh - ALL belts changed. I kept the old as spare as they were not showing any signs of wear i.e. minor cuts on the inside of belt which indicates normal wear and tear.
    YES all fluids changed in January 2015 so NO change now. NO worry for next 6 months until scheduled Oil n Filter Change.