1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing adjustment in MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Agree with you sat, but I am not getting into the technicalities. After I changed my timing chain the power delivery was much better, possibly due to reduced energy loss due to a nicely fitting timing chain sitting snugly in the sprockets . The FE also improved. This is the reason I am suggesting to change the timing chain as per FIAT guidance. It is worth more than trying to see how much the chain will last and make believe that the fiat engines have very durable components.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  2. Chain Elongation and Engine Timing

One more article on how elongated chain affects timing.please read the entire article donot quote selectively.
    Gurjinder your question was a very good one but , would have been more happy if you had clicked like for the main post.

Quote from the earlier link i posted.

*As the chain gets longer so the pitch of the chain increases. BUT there is still the same number of links between the camshaft wheel and the crankshaft wheel. Because of this the camshaft chain wheel is effectively retarded when turning the crankshaft wheel in an ahead direction. This can be clearly seen from the timing marks. Because of this, chain elongation results in alteration of valve, fuel pump and air start distributor timing.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. new_chain.jpg
    Take a look at this picture to understand how timing can change with elongated chain.observe the markings and red coloured part of chain.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Recently I felt some vibrating sound coming from my Transmission.
    I suspect the clutch as it matches the symptoms like shuddering and less pickup.
    As I was planning to give it for a checkup, I met a Maruti Service center owner whi drove my car and has told there is problem with timing tuning
    and the jerks and shudder is the result of the same.
    I did the timing chain replacement few months back and have driven 4k km now.
    This vibration problem is coming last 2k km now.
    I was really surprised to know that the problem may be due to T Chain Timing adjustment. Can anyone face issue like that or has some info to share here ?
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    It would be clutch most probably. What mileage you are getting post replacement of chain.
    Pickup at low revs can get a little less if timing is advanced by few degrees but can not shudder due to it and pickup post turbo activation would increase with advanced timing. Used to advance timing of our 800 whenever I used to drive it and retarted it again when giving back to dad wish it was as easy as rotating distributor in MJD too.
    If you still suspect that timing is out ask ASS to check it again. Read the first post of the thread for how it is to be checked.
    1 person likes this.
  6. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks a lot for your inputs vIjAy_kHaSa.
    Exactly same behavior as you stated. Diesel clatter is more and pickup at turbo range (2k) is very good, but at slow speed it feel retarded.
    Even I think it has to be a clutch related problem.
    I am getting little less mileage, used to get 15-16 in city, now getting 14-15 km/l, Highway 20-22, now getting max 20 km/l, post the T Chain replacement.
    Will check it in ASS this weekend.
  7. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I have something to update here,
    I did some basic test and found that clutch may actually be fine, then why I am getting so much vibration at low speed and sluggishness ?
    Went to KHT today morning and found that the engine guard plate was touching the engine/silencer area. Bent the same and the vibration is much less but
    the sluggishness at low speed remains.
    It is like the engine is not getting the fuel, at high rpm the engine sounds much better but at slow speed the engine sounds like it got severe cold :).
    That sweet note is gone and more humming kind of sound is coming.
    Mostly the culprit is now Timing Chain adjustment.

Planning to take an appointment with Harish to get the same adjusted soon.
  8. Just met Harish, discussed the same issue with him. He said he can confirm if he sees the car. And timing adjument can be done in 2-3 hours.
  9. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Called Harish, will give a visit this Sunday.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Not to flame you , but to tell you honestly your mechanic is misleading you on the timing adjustment front. There is nothing such as adjusting it by 2 mm to alter mileage or power. The procedure he carried to adjust the timing was perfect by locking both the cams with respect to the crank and tightening the cam.

Regarding the timing chain slackness - every timing chain develops slackness and to overcome this there is the hydraulic tensioner which counters the slackness. If the timing chain goes beyond the adjusting capacity of the tensioner it starts making noise.

Also the start of injection , pilot injection and main injection is coded inside the ECU based on closed loops. So you do anything wrong on setting the timing and engine will be screwed.

Conclusion is - Timing on our cars can be set - not adjusted.

Please note : this is just a discussion, not about faming each other.
    3 people like this.