1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Time Limit to claim insurance on damages to car?

Discussion in 'Insurance & Loan Reviews' started by D-Punter, Apr 15, 2013.

1. D-Punter

D-Punter Novizio

gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.4
    My punto met with minor accident and there was a dent in rear door and panel adjecent to it. this was in march'2012 but at that time i didn't go for the denting/painting work as i was new to driving and thought that i will do all the repairs in a go once i will confident in driving. Today i have gone to the dealer & he has given me the estimate of around 10k for the denting/paintng job. But he is tellin gme that it won't be covered under the insurance as lot of time have been passed since the dents.i would like to know is it true what he is saying? I mean is there any time limit in this respect?
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, insurance must be claimed immediately and it is restricted to one time damage.
    Suppose, if car damages at 2 different places, at 2 different times, you can claim only one.

But still you can try and convince insurance people that its just few days old etc.
  3. D-Punter

D-Punter Novizio

gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @Ravi:
    Ok..i mean than i have made a mistake to hold for so long..! What else can i do than? Would going for a road side mechanic would be nice choice if it is a reputable one? Does any body know anyone in gurgaon?
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    one month is not a long time but insurance agents are always on the lookout for reasons based on which they can reject a claim. have you already intimated the claim on the toll free no to your insurance company? does your damage look like it had happened a month back. If not then you tell that it had happened a week back. can you please describe what had happened for better suggestions
  5. D-Punter

D-Punter Novizio

gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @Shams: It's March'12 not March'13, having said that, now i think there's no use of arguing about it to insurance people. Recently i have also changed my insurance agency too. BDW what can be done now? is there any hope left? or i should start searching a good road side person who can do the job for relatively less money?
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    oops, i missed '12. even then i would ask by just looking at it is it very evident that it happened long back? you need to prove somehow that it happened recently to claim.
  7. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    unless you have had inspection done by the insurance guys and photo shoot is completed, you can call and raise claim for insurance and tell them it happened recently..
  8. Punto Maniac

Punto Maniac Amatore

TN07
    Yeah, intimate all of it in one claim form to the insurance agency. Try not to do it online, as you're registering all that you're trying to claim. The SAs or the surveyor can help you too on how to file a claim (if only you're lucky). ;)
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013