1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tight Gear Shift - Linea Emotion

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by PankajJoshi, Jan 31, 2012.

1. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    Hello Folks,

Tuesday morning last week I noticed that gear shifting was tight in my Linea Emotion Pack Petrol June 2009 purchase.

Tejaswi motors Hyderabad told me that its a gear cable issue. The teflon coating on the cable might have gone bad. I booked appointment for 30/1. On 30/1, they didn't touch the car and told me that its a clutch issue and would take 8000 Rupees. I was warned that don't drive the car, engine mounting will get damaged as there are murmurs / vibrations from engine.

:eek: Diagnosis changed in 3-4 days, without even opening the car! The car has run only 13,000 kilometers in mild traffic and I am a patient driver. No half clutch driving. Mileage of 12-13 kmpl in city.

I raised an alarm for not working on my car and keeping it for entire day. The service manager "looked" at the issue by sitting in the car, and pressing clutch and changing gears while engine running. He says its gear cable issue. Back to square one.

I have reported the issue, diagnosis and all my past grievance to Fiat on toll free and dropped an email. Waiting to hear back.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Thanks,

Pankaj
  2. I had similar issue. Was traced to gear cable and linkages which were adjusted during service. Still shifting from 4 to 5th and back is not very smooth
  3. naveen

naveen Novizio

Hyderabad
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/technical/4765-vague-gear-behaviour.html
    Hi Pankaj

i had a similar issue with my Grande Punto, issue was traced to faulty pressure plates and were changed in Warranty at Tejaswi. Since then my Gear shift has become very vague with abnormal sounds. Please refer to my thread http://www.teamfiat.co.in/technical/4765-vague-gear-behaviour.html and http://www.teamfiat.co.in/service-center-reviews/776-tejaswi-motors-hyderabad-5.html#post88028

Today I spoke to the Customer Services Manager from Fiat - Prasanna and he advised to take my vehicle to Concorde in sanath nagar. My sincere advise, please try to avoid Tejaswi for now. They dont have a proper Technical team lead. Earlier ones Phanibhushan and Murthy left this place.
  4. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    The service manager says he checked with FIAT and that the gear cables are not covered under extended warranty and will cost over 8000 rs.:A
  5. I am facing the same issue in my GP, 2009 make and last week had got it checked from TASS and they said that issue was sorted out but now it has become worse since in reverse, even with the clutch pedal fully down a krrrrrrrr sound is coming which was not there before and in standstill to put in 1st gear is also cumbersome.
    1 person likes this.
  6. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    The issue with resolved after the gear cable was lubricated. I still feel the gear is not as smooth as it was before it got tight. May be will get smoother as I drive more. Engaging reverse make a Krrrr.... noise.

Once again consistency in service quality standards... the right front door and front seats left with stains of lubricant and dirt.
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Make sure that you are engaging reverse gear after taking pause of 2 seconds after pressing clutch fully. In fiat cars you have to take pause of 2 seconds for shifting reverse gear smoothly after pressing clutch. Hasty shifting of R gear in fiat gearbox is not allowed.

If reverse gear is making krrr... noise still after taking pause of 2 seconds as mentioned above then you have to replace complete clutch assly + clutch slave cylender.

You had mentioned that ASS replaced pressure plate. Are you 100% sure about that?
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @pankaj

Always engage reverse after u press the clutch pedal fully for 2seconds.That will avoid the krrrrrr sound.
  9. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    @bhai and @pioneeraaron thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try. Should work!

@bhai
    Some confusion. I didnt say that pressure plates were replaced. Initially workshop guys "predicted" that these may be bad. The problem was resolved after gear cable was lubricated. Clutch was not touched at all.

The gear shifting is getting smoother as I am driving, meaning lubrication is working.
  10. prihir

prihir Amatore

Jamnagar
    Hi Romsi ! Is your problem solved ? how ? i have same issue Tass SA ask it's Gare Consal Cable problem and it is now covered in Exten. Warranty .Please Reply.Regds.HIREN