1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thunder is on - Teky's Punto ICE'd

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by teky, Mar 1, 2011.

1. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    The thunder is on. The ICE is complete guys, will post a review shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Re: ICE Considerations

Voila....bring it on ..
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    ICE Considerations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  4. Punto - E-Pack - Iced

@teky, stop teasing and come out with a full report!!!! :hit
  5. Re: ICE Considerations

Bring it on Teky..I am glued on to the thread..... :clap
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune

teky- i can see something solid rocking in your car.
    bring it on. morrels are a beauty
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai

I'm not a Audiophile by any chance, I don't look into if the singer is dead center on the car or sitting in the boot. However I appreciate good music, My definition of good music is that you don't get tired even after listening for couple of hours. My love for music started off right from my school days (No - I don't sing, nor play any instruments). I never understood the nitty grity of music though, until I stumbled upon a forum called hifivision. That changed whole definition of music to me. I've grown up with brands Sony, BPL, Pioneer but I auditioned few Home stereo system including Marantz, Monitor, B & W etc which blew me away. I don't get time to listen music at home, So I satisfied my lust by getting a pair of Klipsch headphone. That kept me going for a while, However the devil in me wanted something for my bedroom. Picked up Harmon Kardon sound sticks II and enjoyed them for a while. Over these days my affinity to music increased further.

I bought the Punto Emo Pk during May 2010 and the only think I hated was the music system. However I had no clue on what to look for in the car audio, since I got exposure into home audio systems only. Spent sometime on understanding the brands, the internet helped a lot. It was more than 6 months from a purchase of the car, I didn't use to commute it regularly since I used to work from home for a good 4 months ::D . But I had to work from office and had commute daily from January. I couldn't bear the stock music system any longer, So started researching about the compatible upgrades for Punto Emo Pk. The upgrade has run 2 phases now with another one pending.

I was searching for a good installer in Chennai and voila internet helped me again. I came to know of a place named Powerzone who do installs in a very good manner. It was decided to get the upgrade done from him.

Phase 1

I didn't know what to expect out of initial phase. My requirement was to try and get more detailed music with some amount of bass. The stock system was good in highs, okay in vocals and worst in lows. Told this as my requirement and I was recommended Kicker 600.2 since I didn't want to invest in a amp (not yet).

Kicker.JPG

I was asked to listen to set-up once the components were installed and there was a wide grin in my face as soon as I heard some good music on the car. The improvement I notice where especially on the mid-bass & the lower frequencies, There wasn't a huge difference but it was appreciable. However I still wasn't satisfied with the amount of bass, So started to discuss with the installer about what could be done about this. The suggestion was to plonk some 6*9 on a customer made rear parcel tray. I agreed to this and these went into my rear tray. It's a Morel Maximo 69C

View attachment photo.JPG

Was called into audition the system again and I was mighty mighty impressed. The sound stage was perfect at the driver's seat, All the vocals felt as if it was coming straight to your face. There was good amount of bass as well pumped by the Morel's. After hearing this I though why there are mad people who add Sub & Amp when this is giving enough oomph. I was proven wrong...How?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
  8. Re: ICE Considerations

Excellent write up dear !
    Keep coming.....waiting for the full report !!!!

Please dont make us wait till tommorrow morning ::O
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai

I listened to the music for over couple of hours which included my drive back to home. I listen to music loud at times, It all depends on the mood I'm in. With the current set-up I had whenever I crank the volume above 13 the music started distorting. Also I couldn't appreciate the bass from the 6*9's for long, Those aren't the real lows I was looking for. Even the Morels are good, It couldn't go as low as I wanted it to - The bass was shrilling after a while and I couldn't bear it anymore. Also the highs were all over the place which was giving me headache after 10-15 minutes of listening. Devil in me woke up again and hence the plan for Phase-2 was devised.

Phase-2 was all about adding a Sub and Amp to see how much of improvement I can gain. So what did I do for Phase - 2 and Did I really achieve what I wanted?
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3

compos sound good with ampli as thy r power hungry.thy dont get enough power with only HU. Moreever one wise guy told me tht u will end up burning the crossover if u using compos without ampli after may be 7-8 months and thus speakers get useless.They also dont sound much better then coxial without ampli.