1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thudding Sound from GP Steering When It's Terribly Hot Outside

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Ravenlord, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Hi Saptrishi,

Did you try to rotate steering (full to either side) while stationary? Does sound still come? Did you pass thru water pool somewhere before the sound emerged?

if yes, it could be shocker mountings. get it checked and replaced under warranty.

Vijyant
  2. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    Hi Vijyant, thank you for your reply. The sound doesn't come when stationary (and even when I turn at higher speeds). I don't recall passing through a water pool but I might just have. If it were shocker mountings, don't you think the service center guys would have noticed it when they mounted the car up on the elevated porch (not that I think they are terribly competent!)?
    Thanks,
    Saptarshi
  3. Sorry to hijack your thread.

I get this while turning left or right and go over speed breaker at speeds of 20kmph or less,but thud sound seems to come from left side shock or some thing in that area.
    I showed it to TASS Mysore road but did not do anything with it saying come at 30K service we"ll take look.
    I also get similar thud sound from rear left shocks too.
    I am really worried about this thud noise,should i go to local trustworthy mechanic and ask him to take a look?
  4. ravenlord
    get the steering adjustment mechanism checked.
    also bearings of the hubs.if they are damaged you get that thudding sound.
    only when slow the sound comes.
  5. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    Thanks, srikaratluri. I also think it has to do something with the steering mechanism. Problem is that it is very intermittent and the sound stops whenever I take it to the service center! Without the sound to guide them, the service center guys don't manage to do anything!
  6. I went to a trusted mechanic Harish of Pride cars , he test drove the car and just tightened all the nuts,three of the nuts on left front shock absorber mounting were loose ,as per Harish they might have had little play which was aiding to the thud sound in low speeds.

Similar issue with left rear shock nuts too, after which I took the car on test drive, whoa!! complete absence of any thud noise at slow speeds or high.
    Steering is felt little heavy , I plan to get the steering balance checked tomorrow.
    I might have spent at least 5 days with out car to resolve this issue along with other issues, but car used to get returned promptly back with out addressing this issue at all.I also used to find it difficult reproduce the issue as I did not know , this problem was only at less than 20 kmph.
    Any way I am a happy man now.
    -Sat
  7. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    Thank you Sat, this is very helpful to me! The service center guys claimed to have tightened the underbody nuts, but I can't trust their work. I am planning to take it to the service center tomorrow, and will check out with the shock absorber mounts.
  8. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    So I visited the service center today. Even though I visited the service center in 40-degree scorching heat, the sound disappeared like the last time! (How do cars know they are being driven to the service center??). Anyway, the mechanic looked under the hood and found a loose shocker mounting and tightened it. I haven't had the noise on the way back but when I took the car out in the evening, there was a slight hint of the noise again! I plan to drive around for some days and see if the noise comes back. Does anyone know if Carnation in Gurgaon is worth going to - I think I want to show the problem to a non-Tata dealership.