1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thudding Sound from GP Steering When It's Terribly Hot Outside

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Ravenlord, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    Hi Guys,

I had earlier written about a thudding sound that I thought was coming from my brakes when I drove the car (Punto E+, 2009) very slow in traffic. [More details here.] I went to the workshop in the morning a couple of days back and there was absolutely no sound! They nonetheless went under the hood and tightened everything just to be sure. A few days later, I realized then that the sound was coming from the steering column or under the hood - but only when the car had been standing in the heat for a long time (I don't have covered parking, unfortunately!). The temperature here easily goes up to 46-47 degrees. Any ideas on what could be causing the problem and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
    Saptarshi
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Can you describe the thud sound in more detail. Also the exact circumstances under which the sound makes an appearance. Apart from outside temps.

Gurjinder.
  3. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    from what you have described it seems like some rubber bushing loosing its property and causing the sound. but this should not happen as automotive parts are designed to withstand such temp. observe a bit more and let us know.
  4. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    Hi Karan and Gurjinder,

Thank you for the quick response. To answer your question, when I very slowly turn the steering, I hear a thudding sound as if the steering (or the tyre) is touching something as it turns. Imagine the steering column (I am not sure it actually is the steering column) hitting something lightly after a few inches of turning. Now, this happens only when the car is heated due to the temperatures outside. It doesn't happen at all when I take it out early in the morning. It doesn't happen if I drive faster than (say) 30kmph, but will come back if I am stuck in traffic and trying to maneuver. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Saptarshi
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    That's quite a peculiar situation.

Plus, another question. Does the sound come when turning the steering to a particular side only or both sides?

The closest experience i've had to a similar noise was when the left tie-rod end of our Palio D broke and it gave out a sound only under turning left and at low speeds.

Gurjinder.
  6. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    The sound comes when I move the steering to both sides. If something was broken in the axle (or the tie-rod end), then wouldn't it have been visible to the service center staff when they hauled up the car on the mount and tightened the underbody?
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    I'm at loss to find out a probable cause buddy.
    The only plan of action would be to take the car immediately to the service centre when its making this noise, or take the car to a better service centre. I've read nothing but good reviews about Elegant motors in Patparganj indstrl area, Delhi. So you might wanna try them when you can spare some time.

Tie rods show the physical damage when opened. When they're fitted, the only way to diagnose is the noise ; unless they have totally disintegrated physically, which is a rare occurence. Same is the case with the drive axles.

Gurjinder.
  8. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Even I am having an issue when put under the Sun for long. But the issue is not severe ..but just wanted to highlite it. The rearveiw mirror glass starts to vibrate when it is hot inside say above 35 C. The plastic around the mirror is expanding due to the heat and the glass is shaking which makes an unnecessary sound. The TASS guys are yet to replace it telling that the mirror is out of stock. Could Ravenlord's issue be related to something like this..I mean due to the quality of plastic ?
  9. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    Thanks guys, yes I get the same feeling as Cinju. I think it may be the rubber and plastic inside the steering column that expands and interrupts free movement of the steering rod when heated. I am going to try adjusting my steering height and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I am going to take Gurjinder's advice and go running to the service center one hot afternoon! :)
  10. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    UPDATE: I tried adjusting my steering height (it was at its lowest position and I pushed it up slightly) and the sound disappeared... but only for some time. It came back after a few days of sun. Then I moved it around a bit and the sound lowered a bit. Now this happens only at times when i can't really get to the service station (e.g., when I am driving to office) so I haven't had a chance to show it to the guys at the service center. I fear that the service center guys won't be able to locate the problem (I already showed them once and they weren't able to recreate the issue) - but if I can investigate and show them the problem, they will be able to fix it for me. Any ideas?