1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Throttle Body Query

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by pioneeraaron, Apr 25, 2012.

1. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Guys just been wondering when do we have to clean the throttle body unit?? Is it the K.M interval or Yearly interval?? A fellow member told me its yearly,in the sense my car has completed 2.6yrs 10k kms now so i should get it cleaned.But TASS told me i need not touch the throttle body unit for atleast a lakh KMs.It's a sealed unit if it is opened for cleaning and stuff and not put back properly then it could give a hard blow to our wallets.He also told me FIAT recommends to clean or change it at 1lac kms interval. Im confused :confused:
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Seems too early Aaron.The car may be 2.6 years old, but the engine has only run 10k. It must've had a couple of air filter changes too, so there's no need to go for a TB clean.

If it's not showing any symptoms related to sticking TB , clogged MAF etc , just let it be. :up
    1 person likes this.
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Thank you so much for your reply Gurjinder :)

What is sticky TB?? Mind explaining?? :)
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Sticking throttle body.

When the throttle valve starts sticking due to varnish, dust etc which hinders the smooth operation of opening and closing of the valve.

Usually in cars with poor air filters, too much blowby, or just plain neglected cars.

Cheers.

P.S. As you have a CBZ with carb - try cleaning the carb slide thoroughly with carb cleaner (or petrol) also the carb bore (where the slide moves) , then lube the slide with a touch of engine oil. Feel the difference in throttle operation. ;)

If dirty the slide will stick and the throttle operation will also not be smooth. It'll also ruin the slide in the long run. I do this regularly on the Bullet and the result is - smooth throttle operation and like-new slide (2002 model).
    1 person likes this.
  5. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Thanks for the valuable tip Gurjinder.I shall do what you've mentioned and post the results :)