1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Now days it is difficult to distinguish the petrol counterparts from diesel by simply looking at exhaust, irrespective of whether it is DDIS, multijet or TDI.
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Why are all my replies suddenly saying "Your post will not be visible till a moderator has approved it"?
    What is going on? I thought we were better than Team ***.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Relativity, the forum software making your posts to be moderated, this happens sometime. Nothing special moderation is done for any individuals.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Phew! I was gonna lose it otherwise.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    My brother has gone to a local Toyota dealer today with his in-laws who are purchasing an Etios D.

Here is the running report :

The billing was done even before the car was checked ( My brothers' in-laws are typical Indian buyers with Toyota " trust" ). Yes it is not the correct way to purchase a car, but the Toyota brand carries a high amount of trust and people seldom do a PDI.

The car which was readied for them had a serious engine noise! If anyone has heard the sound of a connecting rod failure in an engine, that was the kind of noise.

The sales people flatly refused to acknowledge any noise whatsoever by arguing that it is common diesel engine noise . Four other Etios Diesels were started to check and none of them had this engine noise. The sales guy refused to believe that too!

So, my brother lost his cool and after a much heated exchange, the Manager has agreed to replace the vehicle with another one. And all papers are being re-done.

Why i posted this - I have often stated that any brand can produce lemons (vehicles with serious defects) . It is not fair to single out any one brand in particular. This is a case in that perspective. Also, the behaviour of dealers among various brands is not much different either. The bad dealers behave similarly across brands. Just because a dealership is of a certain brand does not make them Saints.

So let us never worship one brand just because it is perceived to be a good brand , and denounce others just because it is perceived to be a bad brand.

As for Toyota - I am a huge Toyota fan , but the Etios is NOT what Toyota stands for. Toyota have only done their history, their tremendous legacy a huge dis-service by this Etios. A step in the wrong direction.

Cheers.
    4 people like this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Just got a call from one of my friend who owns Hyundai Accent CRDI which has run 80k. Recently, while he was driving on NH4 near Kanchipuram, his car came to a standstill because the timing belt is gone and eventually the engine also ceased. The time was 9PM and Hyundai was helpless at that time. He spent the whole night there and the next morning the car was taken to a Hyundai service in Kanchipuram. They told him that it was a major damage and the cost for repair would be in the range of 1.7L to 2.3L. He politely took the car to Chennai by using private towing. After some research in Chennai, he got hold of a guy who is an expert in engine works. Finally, the guy repaired the engine to his satisfaction and the total cost was Rs. 72,000.

Another interesting incident he observed there is that the engine guy was working on a new swift (with 15k on odo). When he enquired, got to know that the Swift's Diesel engine (DDIS) ceased after doing 150+kms speed. The damage is huge so that they disposed the engine for 40k and got a brand new DDIS engine from Popular Maruti for Rs. 1.7L. And this guy was working on that.

According to this engine expert,
    - Hyundai old CRDI is good only till 80-90k.
    - Swift's DDIS is good if driven in the range of 100-120kms.
    - He don't see any issues with Fiat's engine.

Note:- My friend also owns GP 90.

Disclaimer:- The complete story here is as narrated by my friend. I can't confirm the truth behind that engine guy's take on the New Swift :).
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ramjn, I am sure you are more confident than me that engines simply can't seize for just doing NA+ speed. Obviously either the car was lemon with some manufacturing fault or the guy didn't check the coolant/engine oil (may be leakage). Also Maruti should fix that under warrantee if it was only 15 K kms. Looks some terrible negligence on owner's part or obviously Maruti milking people in the name of warrantee. I have seen one 2005 swiftd-DDis. The car was well towards 600000 KMs being a national tourist cab. Body was not even worth Rs. 25000. It's engine was perfect. I am highlighting this because you know DDis are Multijets.

Anyways, absolutely defeated a Polo today on NH-10 in front of the whole world. Don't know if it was petrol/diesel as i couldn't watch it from rear. A difference of more than 200 feet in less than 15 secs;) & god knows where it went after 30 secs. These VGT Multijets are ungodly & absolute vampires for their size:lol:.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    If the Hyundai car's fate near the factory is as mentioned in the above post, what will be the fate elsewhere?:confused:
    Thanks ramjn for the above post. Never thought that an engine damage can make this much hole in pocket.
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Clocked 185 in the linea few days ago:)
    She was good for another 5-10km\hr but i ran out of road.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    2 people like this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i wish FIAT should have launched another upgrade kit from FGT to VGT for 75Hp FIAT'ians like me.....:D
    and that will never happen;)