1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Well not exactly but i have managed around 34 km pl
    Distance: 29.1 kms
    Avg speed: 31kmph
    Total time: 56 mins.

Since there were many flyovers/speed breakers & lots of U turns, I would say it should hit easily around 37-40 kmpl on a flat track.
    Details with pics are posted already in FE thread:).

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

It should work exactly as per my statement. No deviation what so ever. You can test drive some other Punto over there & show the difference to him. Yes, there is an upper limit set for each gear (if you don't use the accelerator) that car won't cross on it's own. Since it's not a claimed/documented feature, that is for our internal reference only. You can sense it when car achieves the speed in respective gear & then up-shift it. Check it once more & come up with conclusion whether it should be taken to TASS or not. I doubt whether you are doing it right & shifting comparatively quicker.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ENKI,
    Finally got it with my punto:drinks
    i have checked for 3rd 4th and 5th gears(with 4 persons).
    First for 5 th gear:- raised the speed upto 80Kmph and removed the leg from accelerator and the needle came and stopped at 32Kmph and it was constant, driven for 2 mins seeing incline- uphill coming ahead, even here i never pressed the accelerator it was just moving awesum.. no knocking.

Then @4th gear:- needle was constant at 22Kmph
    @3rd gear:- needle was constant at 20 Kmph

Does this feature is available in all the hatchbacks ?
    1 person likes this.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Nope. It's ECU's that are tuned specifically this way to make city drive easier. Maruti DDis aren't like this. Hyundai diesels are extremely awful as even 110 bhp, Verna CRDI 2007 begs to downshift@10kmph in 2nd to 1st. Else it shudders like it is getting unscrewed everywhere. Nice to know that you got it finally. Now don't be in panic to change the gear if you are@20kmph in city. It will keep sailing whatever gear you are into.

Now try like this.
    Pls start from rest & don't use accelerator at all, in-fact keep you foot at least 1 feet away from accelerator pedal. Slot it into 1st. Release the clutch gently. It will attain max. speed permissible in 1st gear. Once you get it, slot it into 2nd gear & wait till it reaches max. speed in 2nd gear. Keep following this procedure until you are into 5th@35km/hr. You are free to load your car with 5 people, lots of luggage & steepest inclination you can find.

You should have known this feature about your car. It can make city driving lot easier & you can rest your right foot occasionally;). Now some astonishing facts to be uncovered:

1. If there is floating traffic, you can roam around whole day in 8-10 ltr of diesel (i managed to burn hardly 1 ltr of diesel during those 29.1 kms & 56 mins):D
    2. You FE will at least be over 30kmpl:cool:.
    3. You can enjoy A/C for full 8-10 hrs. Your electricity consumption for that much AC running should offset the fuel expenses to a much extent & you are traveling obviously. So in all it's the cheapest mode of commutation i.e. even than local state bus/train service & comparable to a motorbike with FE over 50kmpl:mrgreen:.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    ENKI, you do know that you are asking people to lug around in their cars.

Ofcourse, the Anti Stall feature will not let the driver know that the car is lugging, and wont let the engine stall. But lugging is lugging.

And detrimental to the engine - No two opinions on it.

That is my take. The other side of the coin.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

did i ask him to drive always like this only?
    The point is just to know the car better as it will help a lot the frequent gear changes.
    By the way, how the car is lugging if it manages to provide best FE ever imagined.
    When ever the car is lugged around or over revved, the very first thing to suffer is FE.
    so why this over-smart attitude?
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I have presented the other side of the coin to TFIans on all this lugging business and i expect you, being much senior in age to me, to take it in this sense only rather than question my attitude and make things personal, unnecessarily.

Opinions are meant to differ. We are not here to establish some sort of supremacy of opinions or thought. ;)

Cheers.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

If you shift to 4th@10km/hr, the Instant consumption will drop to 6-7kmpl. That is lugging! Ic is very good estimate how your engine is performing. Are you still struggling to get the point that above suggestion to Ganges is just for 2-3 kms like this & modify his gear changing habits. Everyone knows that when car lugs, It knocks, shudders & acceleration starts dying with violent jerks..! I wonder what your point was? No one is a new born baby here.

From my side of the coin, there is no harm in knowing FIAT's gearing & speeds in respective gear for a demo & modify your driving habits accordingly. FIAT's are total different cars in 0-80 kmph & one must understand the right gearing. There is minimum speed for every gears that every FIAT owner can study on with the help of instant consumption stats where the engine performs best & be habitual to shift the gears at those speeds. It is best way one can care his Engine/FE.
    The point is conclusions like If one will shift down to 3rd from 4th @65 like other petrol/diesel cars, it's wrong. Just look at the instant consumption display & it's figures can pretty much guide you like an official FIAT trainer. I am no expert declared here, it's just my advise that i posted. Pls refrain to opt for if you think it's wrong.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Lol, Gurjinder. Just noticed this. How much senior? 50 Yrs.
    Come-on, i am 1979 born so 33 yrs.
    Pls don't declare me an old man with a walking stick in hand:mrgreen:.
    Yep, Opinions are meant to be different but not just because it has to be different. Cheers!
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Gurjinder,
    Knowing the hidden features of the product is always the good thing,it depends upon the individual how to utilise it ! and yes this is nowhere mentioned in the FIAT Manaul,so one should be careful about this i guess::O.
    As ENKI said really ,it's sometimes good in city traffic where more changing of gears are required and punto in 1st and 2nd gear is very sluggish.

Today i will be visiting TASS to show my steering problem,lets see if i get the chance to discuss the engine tuning(the service wala in TASS is my school mate:hit)
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ganges, It's good if he is your school mate but i think you already know more than him so never take his advice seriously until it makes sense to you. Best way is self mentoring for things like ABS/engine tuning for a particular vehicle. FIAT has tuned engines for not to lug at all until one is hell bent to do it:boxer. Just hear to your engine with Ic display live & work on your habits. With-in 2 days you will see a vast difference in your achieved FE & how easy it is to drive. You won't need any Ic display then as it will be engraved in your driving style. Having said that, whenever you will drive other vehicles, you will find it terribly hard & hectic to drive, no matter how powerful they are.

I have managde more than 18 Km/pl (never below 17.5 kmpl) while commuting between 2 extreme edges of Delhi for 150 Kms with avg speed of 25-30 km/hr (with no intention to drive it in sedate way what so ever). As soon as, 10% of highway stretch with floating traffic arrives, i rip it like anything but would refrain to boast high speeds i achieve. Rest is all among red lights & jams. Just the right gearing, nothing else. I have always maintained it that Italian Engineers (Not FIAT India) has rightly surveyed Indian conditions & just tuned the engines too good. Too good for majority since they have managed to comes out with underpowered feedback.

Also try to dig out ABS thing. Obviously to get ABS intervene, you have to skid the tires. Take it to some lonely stretch, skid them, feel the ABS & practice maneuvering steering while brakes are still applied with ABS in-service. The most fantastic aspect of ABS is that you never loose the steering capabilities but one must practice it to avoid any confusion in real life. It could easily be the difference between impacting straight into a loaded truck@100kmph or some forced off-roading but one will manage to steer away from the impact. Until one practices it, no way it can be managed in real life, i can bet my life on this:up. As soon as ABS kicks in my 90HP, I have developed the habit of hold my steering tight with a quick scanning across where i can divert it in case of no option. I hope such a situation never arises but learn it whatever it takes as i dearly care for all of you. Driving is not all about slotting into gears & doing aah aah waah waah, MY FIAT:mrgreen:.....
    There is hardly anything that driving schools teach to people:D.
    1 person likes this.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    May be a different thread is worth to discuss on how to make maximum use of ABS.