1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes it did cross my mind but then, straight 5s are going kind of obsolete from mainstream passenger cars, except maybe the likes of volvo etc. which continue building some great ones, perhaps with twin turbos also. It's not just the power, but some better FE and also the benefits as mentioned in the wiki article which are worth reading just to refresh one's knowhow on the subject. It keeps updating afterall.

It might be very interesting particularly for myself and some others in world who would like to see straight 5s also in production, perhaps in smaller displacement passenger cars. Might as well be without twin turbos. :)
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    FIAT Aventura is Rising, looking at the advertisements on TV about the ugly Etios Cross and the Ecosport
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Addition of every cylinder over 4 results in overlap of power stroke in a 4 stroke engine and addition of every cylinder over 2 results the same in a 2 stroke. Its this overlap which gives you the smoothness. Reg the FE comment, its due to reduced frictional loss due to minus of one cylinder compared to six. So a 4 cylinder will be more efficient than a 5 and a 3 pot will be more efficient that a 4 pot and so on. If you can see, a 4 cyl force fed engine can give you the same performance similar to a 5 cylinder or even a six with greater FE, but based on the tune. The only difference is the awareness of one missing pot under the hood ;-)

The current trend is to downsize engines and maintain performance though force feeding. So unless you are getting your hands on 5 pot mill soon, it will become a dinosaur. The only 5 pot which I respected was the RC211V

Like your likes for the 5 pot, I was interested in the wankel stuff. 240+ BHP from a punny 1.3 Litre unit with no reciprocating parts.
    prabhjot and ajuvignesh like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, I hope this is not too much of OT, but my mention of FE is to suggest that what ever best balance for power and performance & FE can be achieved while staying within or moving towards newer emission norms.

If Volvo continues on this path and demands are there for such configurations perhaps we never know it just might live and appear in smaller displacements also. Who knows, I wouldn't bother speculate any more than I did already. :) Anyways, if one has enough dough there would always be manufacturers who could produce such engines for some niche customer base, and I don't just mean filthy rich types.

If Koenigsegg and Pagani can do it, we never know some lad could get support from likes of Tata or Mahindra and be able to churn out some of these from ultra lean manufacturing setups like Koenigsegg etc. So much of wishful thinking and speculation. ;)
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  5. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    ^ need do need to be filthy rich for a custom engine if its not going to be for mass market as the development cost will be sky high. Having said that, the niche market is never going to look at 1.5 Litre diesel mill. Diesels are after all for mass market. I think its time we retire the 5 pot topic :)
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes consider it retired, depends on our definition of niche and different perspectives and conditions. I see there is no point going further discussing. Or perhaps at length on some other thread where this could be more relevant. :)

Mods.: please shift the last few posts if irrelevant and drifting from current topic.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    AUDI has recently brought out the much appreciated 5 cylinder as found in the TT-RS. It might be it's way of paying homage to the Group B legend - AUDI S1.
    asimpleson likes this.
  8. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    As a homage to the brilliant members here , I've decided to add some of their posts as my signature going forward .. starting off with @Viny :D
  9. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Ha ha...:joyful:
    Thanks @Parantap Chatterjee
    Very Innovative, never saw anything like this on any forum.
    Appreciate your kindness and love :)
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Viny's post was indeed funny, must've missed it. Do you still remember the hanky panky thread on bhp... :D

here is your own quote on the same...
    zenwalker likes this.