1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    "'tolerated' levels of illegality" :D :D. Sounds more like hypocrisy to me buddy.

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    I think - Its Hypocrisy "Sugar Coated" as "Tolerated levels of illegality". Things are either legal or illegal .. it is mutually exclusive (not a continuous scale.. with different thresholds)

But in practice it is not so (sad), there are always caveats/disclaimers on a lot of things..

Best
    CS
    4 people like this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  4. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Let me give you an example. If a person were to come and tell you, in a feverish state of excitement, that he rode a Luna for x kms WITHOUT A HELMET what would your reaction be? More often than not, won't you just dismiss him off as a nutcase? I mean, what's the thrill or danger in that, right? But his action is still illegal. You won't treat his action on the same level as you would treat, say, a super car being driven at triple digit speeds on city roads, will you?
    This is a practiced, nay inherited, apathy our society has. Legal or illegal is graded according the extent of damage and, sometimes, on your social level.
    2 people like this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Tin foil hat, indeed . I am outta here.

Rajan
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am late to the party but nevertheless, my 2 cents.

01. I, for one, feel that speedo pics are the most dangerous. It needs time, money and some knowledge to do HL upgrades, FFE etc. but all one needs to click a speedo pic is to floor the accelerator.

02. While clicking pics of the speedo, eyes are off the road and that too at a speed of 160+.

03. Posting pic of a speedo gives positive feedback to a few for sure and quite a few are influenced to beat the record set for the highest speed in the speedo on the forum.

e.g. Watch the video at around 00:27 seconds onwards, posted by a TFI member from Kerala and see yourself. :) I feel watching this video "might" definitely encourage someone to try and repeat what has been achieved here and do try and capture a bit "better" to show. No offence. I hope my statements are not understood.

This has happened in the past. One guy posts speedo pic and 3-4 others post after that showing their personal best. :ugeek: Its only then that we mods then remove a few of these pics to change the topic.

Finally, HL upgrades can be done in a good manner too, to improve the weak low beam, especially in case of Punto which has a weak low beam as compared to Linea. FFE wont kill anyone either. But a speed of 160 will.
    6 people like this.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

From my experience, my speedo pic was promptly deleted immediately after few mins of posting, while many other member's high speed pics remained. I remember reporting couple or more of them and one of them got deleted. Also, couple of mods clarified something through PM.

While there is a rule, let that be the same for everyone. I can still digout few pics/posts which have not seen any moderation.

And FYI, the pic I posted was clicked by my co passenger. (To PaddleShifter's point)

While we are at the topic, on the same lines, posting pics of the trip computer showing average speeds of over 100 kmph from Point A to Point B, should also be moderated, else there is no point in just deleting random speedo pics.
    5 people like this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the response Yashik. I appreciate a reasonable response like this, rather than trying to hide behind some meme. Yeah, yeah, that was totally unrelated. We already know that.

Coming back to the point -

The point was not about cost or about knowledge. It was about legality. As C_S rightly pointed out, "Things are either legal or illegal .. it is mutually exclusive (not a continuous scale.. with different thresholds) ". So, while we frown at speedo pics, how come we post our HL upgrades - nevermind it is some crazy number like 110/90 or even 130/110, share details of the relay used, price and even the source, fully aware that anything above 60/55 is illegal?

While on the one hand, when I object to a dealer using this platform as an advertising medium, I am told that members are mature enough to make decisions, how come the same mature members will get provoked to do extreme speeds, just based on some picture. I have reported a picture showing the odo at 160+, but nothing was done. Why?

High speed kills a few - once. FFE kills a lot - slowly. Ever bothered to look at that angle? Extremely bright HLs are a menace and most of us agree to it in some discussion, but shamelessly post about our upgrades to 110/90 elsewhere.

With this attitude, aren't we saying - It is OK to cross the line, as long as you do not get caught.

Coming to your point of "eyes off the road" bit, is it OK for me to post a pic of my speedo showing 170+ with both hands on the steering? Would that be proof enough that I was not clicking the picture and was only focussing on driving?

Posting pic of a speedo gives positive feedback to a few for sure and quite a few are influenced to beat the record set for the highest speed in the speedo on the forum. I agree with you. But I also feel posting pic of very bright HLs gives a positive feedback to a few for sure are influenced to beat the record set for the brightest lights on the forum. What do you have to say about that?

We, as a group of responsible people, can encourage our members to refrain from breaking the law, or can justify our hypocrisy. The choice is ours.

Rajan

PS: I just watched that video, after posting my response. Firstly, seems to be shot by a passenger. Secondly, seems to prove that the S10 is faster than the Punto, and finally, I never saw any speedo in the video. What am I missing? Also, FFE does not kill anyone. Really? Coming from a doctor, I guess you are right. I stand corrected.
    9 people like this.
  9. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    We upgrade headlamps, but when other car opposite to us is flashing those bright and powerful headlamps on our face, we hurl abuses to the driver in that car, human beings after all :D

I personally hate it when the car opposite to me throws all that light and I go blind for a second or two.

P.S I haven't upgraded my headlamps yet.

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
    2 people like this.
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    At no point of time, would I like to encourage something that is illegal. I am not justifying less illegal vs more illegal. I have always tried to follow the law. I see people buying non ISI helmets on the roadside and that hurts how much we neglect our own safety.

That said, my post above was just to highlight that why speedo pic in particular are the ones that cause such discussions and debates.

@Driver, I agree with you but would like to assure you that there is no bias or ranking system of any kind here. I cant say what was said to you in PM when you reported any post of speedo pic. I for one would like to remove all speedo pics wherever I see one.

I broke my post into points as clicking a pic of speedo by ourselves isn't the only dangerous aspect as asked by patchyboy. If my hands are on the steering with a speedo showing 160, that doesn't mean I am in control.

As a doctor, I have seen and treated enough cases of roadside accident and high speed, alcohol and inadequate safety equipment (helmets etc) contribute the most towards fatalities (I am not defending HL upgrades btw;)).

Below is blurred out pic from a high speed collision accident. I remember spending 2 hours on this patient and got to know he lost his eye and had a major plastic surgery.

DSCF0439.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

BTW, Merry Christmas to all TFI members. :)
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    2 people like this.