1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Body repainting? :D
  2. anoop

anoop Superiore

Kai Pure Komachi 2 Knives - a brief review

Kai Pure Komachi 2 Knives - a brief review

I first saw them while I was browsing Amazon for a Japanese Santoku knife (Santoku - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) but was skeptical because of the looks and the price but the reviews were really encouraging in Amazon and I found lot of good reviews in net about them. While searching and reading about them, I came to know that they are made by the guys who make Shun knives.

The Komachi line costs a fraction of what Shun knives cost and while I am reasonably sure that these are not handmade exotic knives like Shun, I was reasonably confident to try them, and fortunately a friend agreed to bring me a Santoku knife from the Komachi line. One thing led to other and at last, she ended up buying the whole set for both of us.

The knife set:

IMG_20131217_081016.jpg

IMG20131204WA0001.jpg

The set contains:
    8 inch Bread Knife
    8 inch Chef's Knife
    6 ½inch Santoku Knife
    6 inch Utility Knife
    3 ½ inch Paring Knife
    4 inch Citrus Knife

The blades are made of 420J2 steel (Knife Blade Steels - KnifeCenter) and the handles are made of inomer resin. The knives are color coated using food-safe, FDA-approved resin coating.

The coating makes sure that the food does not stick to the knives and it makes cleaning much easier. It also makes sure that you can easily identify each knife (in case you use particular knives for particular purpose - one knife for vegetable, one for meat etc.). And oh, these coatings also provide the eye-candy.

I have been using the knives for some time and they are a hoot to use - light weight and very sharp. The blade has a full flat grind and really slices with ease .They cut through vegetables and meat like cutting through cheese, and slice incredibly thin.

These knives are incredibly light and very sharp and much superior to Tramontina knives and generic brand made in Japan molybdium-vanedium knives (IMC and TW) I have. The only down side I can think of about them is that the handle do not have a soft touch feel - the handle will be slippery if your hands are oily (though they do not slip if hands are moderately wet).

I have also read in some reviews that the light colored knives will get stained if you leave the knife without cleaning after cutting some particular vegetables, but I feel you should always clean your knife as soon as you finish using it.

An added bonus is that, you can sharpen them using whetstone - but I do not think they will need sharpening any time soon.

They are not meant to cut through frozen meat or through bones (I use a cleaver and a large knife made by a skilled blacksmith using tiller blades for cutting through bone - they are prone to rust and needs sharpening often, but they are sharp and cut through bones easily. But they are not very suitable for everyday use because they will not hold their edge for long time and are very prone to corrosion)

From the Kai\Shun website: Japanese steel knives are generally lighter in weight and are made of thinner, harder steel. Due to their harder steel, the blade stock can be thinner and the edge more acute—that is, sharper—than a comparable German knife.

--Anoop
    1 person likes this.
  3. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  4. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
  5. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
  6. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I know that any pictures of speeding and discussions about street racing is frowned upon and usually deleted. I am just trying to figure out why it is so. Anyone here can enlighten me with the exact reasoning behind this practise?

Rajan
  8. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    Well, I don't know the exact reason or context behind your question, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that it might be because street racing is illegal and it might spark off a dangerous trend here. Speeding or street racing can create a sort of competition and if any untoward incident were tochappen, the forum might be involved in legal complications as it might be perceived that it supported such activities.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    In that case, how is discussing HL upgrades to blindingly bright bulbs, getting cars remapped, fitting FFE, etc. are acceptable in almost all the online forums? Blinding on coming traffic is equally dangerous and causes accidents. Getting cars remapped makes them more powerful than they were meant to be and we all know how much damage power can cause, when left in immature hands. FFE contributes to increased pollution. Which ever way I look at it, all these activities are harmful, can cause damage and are illegal, for sure. So, why single out just one activity and allow all others?

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  10. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    That might be because all those activities fall under 'tolerated' levels of illegality. When compared to the potential danger of street racing, these are the 'tame' levels of illegality. Let's face it, how often do you see a car/bike being pulled over because of over bright head lamps or a loud horn? Remaps or other such mods being discussed here are no where near the heat level of street racing. These are only wannabe mods. Plus we use the increased power more responsibly. Reporting posts that show-off speeding pictures or racing, in a way, enforces this view.
    In short, I feel the mods we discuss relentlessly all day long don't redline the legal zone. They are illegal, yes, but just don't redline the 'illegal' limit.
    1 person likes this.