1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Exactly this is the point. I forget when I last used my first gear, may be in Ooty. Last 2 years, I am starting directly from 2nd gear and from 0-100 will be less for me if you compare with Swift. Swift/I20 will be standstill if they starts from 2nd gear, Yes from 2nd gear ( o-40/45 kmph). Want to test, bring a Swift and test with me.

But yes, Fiat gears aren't bad, it requires some correction, for me definitely not because read rudresh's first line. My car listens What I want and acts accordinly.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Indeed, one has to adapt to the car. I for one, rev a lot. Punto's ECU will also adapt to the driver inputs. All you need to do is drive spiritedly and the car responds accordingly. When you start off slowly until the temp needle comes to the optimum reading. Then the ECU reads that you want to drive sedately and responds in the same way. Try to start off in a jiffy and see how it responds for the whole drive. I am not suggesting you do this everytime as it is not a good practice. But you would understand its not all mechanical, but some electronics working in the background aswell that would determine your car's response.

The only problem I have is that when I release the clutch in B2B traffic (you really don't need to accelerate) the car simply crawls forward, but the bikers are just waiting for that, when they find a gap between 2 cars, not the length but breadth of the bike, they simply fill the gap. If we let one biker, there is a que to do the same. This irks me a lot in city traffic.

And there are also few stickered Puntos that try to overtake everything in their path. :D
    3 people like this.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Nobody is bashing Punto or Linea. At least I am not.
    It is just a comparison with what is available to us.Between good and better.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Yeah right. We all know how much you love Fiats and your 90HP in particular. ;)
    1 person likes this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I have a doubt. Lets say I have been driving sedately for some 100+ kms and stopped for a break. When I get back in the car, say after 5-10 mins, and drive of spiritedly, would this apply or will the ECU take sometime to adapt?

Rajan
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Jishnu my friend, theres more to performance than a sprint from 0-xxx kmph! more appropriate term to use here would be acceleration which may be slightly better in swift due to certain factors like power to weight ratio and gearbox!

sighting an example, today on my way back home from office, i took a 90 degree left turn at a T-signal with one lane occupied and another one free on a two lane road. after completing the turn i felt i should have been slower so i just had a look at speedo which was showing 60+!

please do not ask your swift owner friend to try this in any car (in this category) other than a Fiat ;);)

Kiran anna, first of all we should idle the car for a minute atleast during all cold starts :)

Also, as per the owners manual we should not be hard on the A-pedal until the temperature needle starts moving.

The above two things are good practices and i don't think these make a difference on what driving style ECU adapts since this lasts for hardly 5-10 minutes. I have been doing this for several thousand kms now and, just like you, i also don't know what is turbo lag ;)
    3 people like this.
  7. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Exactly, In gear acceleartion in swift till you change from 1st to 2nd is better than punto's 1st to 2nd gear acceleartion, as you mentioned pulling torque ( Torque/weight) is little better in swift too due to weight ratio. Here punto lags really and takes more time, but if you move your car from 2nd gear can swift be comparable (where Swift need to start from 1st gear).
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I don't think always starting your car in second gear is a good thing. The first gear is there for a reason. Use it.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I love to read 0-100Kms in 2hours rather 0-100Kmph in 10secs :D . Yeah tortoise in different terms.

Tortoise/Hare Remix Version :D

Read Car-B = Punto and Car -A = Whatever.

One day Car-A was bragging about how fast she could run. She bragged and bragged and even laughed at the Car-B and saying see your acceleration, who was so slow. The Car-B stretched out with Torque and challenged the Car-A to a race, which, of course, made the Car-A laugh. "My, my, what a joke!" i guess the lazy bull have learnt nice driving technique thought the Car-A. "A race, indeed, a race. Oh! what fun! My, my! a race, of course, Car-B, we shall race!" said the Car-A.The other Koreans/Japanese/Indian cars met and mapped out the course. The race begun, and the Car-A, being such a swift runner, soon left the Car-B far behind and said you sluggish. About halfway through the course, it occurred to the Car-A that she had plenty of power to beat the slow trodden Car-B. "Oh, my!" thought the Car-A, "I have plenty of time to play in the meadow here."And so she did.When the Car-A looked in Rear view mirror she didnt find anything, she said herselves "Fix It Again Tony "."I have plenty of power to beat that tortoise-Car-B," she thought. And she was cruising at more speed with shaky steering,tensed face.The Car-B, in the meantime, reached the destination,she was relaxed having pop-corns,with nice music "Pretty women walking down the streets".The Car-A was worried now "Time to get going," she thought. And off she went faster than she had ever run before! she dashed as quickly as anyone ever could up to the finish line, where she met the Car-B, who was patiently awaiting for her arrival.

Moral of the Story:-

At the end Car-B replied to Car-A,it doesnt matter if i'm sluggish in first two gears,what matters to me is the driving technique,if you give me a proper gear shift in proper torque band,i will keep happy my owner.Read me, i'm always pleased to be listened from the Heart and not from the mind replied Car-B replied.Finally Car-A agreed and replied "these humans" :D
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    You will probably have to rev the living daylights out of the engine to make it believe the driver means business. Whenever I have taken the Linea on the highway, i find it initially hesitant (scorned GF - city is not it's natural habitat) a bit and later freeing up quite a bit.

Kiran's driving style does not let the Punto adapt to a sedate manner. He just doesn't give the car a chance to do that :p
    1 person likes this.