1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    agree with suman but i wouldn't call the gear ratios bad. they are different from the competition with shorter 1st and 2nd gears. This short gearing becomes a boon in the ghats where the Fiats just sail through..
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Have anyone driven 1.6 MJD ? :D
    1 person likes this.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The so called bad 1st gear ratio makes its presence felt when you are loaded up with 5 people and their luggage and the car moves without ANY hint of strain/effort whatsoever. Put a fully loaded Linea / Punto up an incline and then see the result.

The ratios are practical and not intended to win bench races which are done on internet forums. Bad 2nd gear ratio? I'm yet to experience that.
    2 people like this.
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    So how often we tend to do this? The hatches spend most of their time in cities where you need to be in 1st and 2nd gears and that's where other cars are different. Having said that I don't have any issues with gear ratios, I've got used to it now.
  7. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Yes..Infact Linea MJD uses and Even T-jet use old school Palio's gearbox. If not sure, please check.

Yes true, but then what Gurji Paaji? But matter of fact is we dont live in ghats do we? :)

What is wrong, we have to admit.. And what is right, we have to appreciate.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Starting a loaded/empty car on a perfectly flat surface demands something similar as well.

I wonder if people want to compare the Punto / Linea with the "knight in shining armour" of Indian market - Swift diesel, old and new. Both these cars are in my extended family and i've driven them a lot. And rest assured, driving a swift in traffic is enough to drive you bonkers ( Yes i'm prepared to be flamed after saying this :) ). By the time the engine wakes up, the traffic is already gone. You can thank the taller 1st and 2nd gears/engine tunes to that.

Keep swift on the boil ( in it's turbo happy zone) and it'll be happy. If you fall out of that zone -no other option than downshift. It falls on it's face and then picks up like a spanked ape - no linear progression. On the highway i had to downshift the Swift from 5th to 3rd (doing 60kmph) to get it up and running. The Punto 75 - no downshift, just floored it.

The reason behind the above comparison is - there is more to the term "gear ratios" than we appreciate. We just read some slow 0-100 times and automatically assume the car is slow / poor etc.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Go even further back. It is actually a refreshed Uno box :)

I am no fanboy. But till date I have failed to understand the fuss about "bad gear ratios". Maybe someday I will.
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    If the old school item is best at hand: may be that was FIATs strategy so far
    :confused:
  10. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Both the 75 HP and 90 HP verisons of the MJD is mated to a gearbox with ratio to aid driveability and not to win the sprints from 0-100. The midrage is good to put a few cars with the 1.6 litred engines to shame. But the down side of it is the top speed which is more or less irrelevant to our driving conditions here.

Atleast for the upcoming Linea facelift, an engine (be it 1.3/1.6/1.4 Tjet) mated with a 6 speed close ratio gearbox makes a strong case, atleast for me.
    2 people like this.