1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Time to change LOC and LAC to Line of Crossing and Line of Actual Crossing. :)
    1 person likes this.
  2. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Madras Day - 374

Today is Madras Day. The city celebrating its 374th Birthday. :)

Madras Day is a day of celebrations organised in the city of Madras (Chennai), the capital city of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is celebrated on 22 August every year, and is named after Madras. It commemorates the founding of the modern city by establishing Fort St George on a small piece of land acquired from the last King of Chandragiri in 1639 by the British East India Company. The celebrations include several events organised including citizens and students and lasts for a week.

Happy Birthday Chennai.
    chennai day - 1.jpg

chennai day - 3.jpg

chennai day - 2.jpg

chennai day - 4.jpg

Picture Courtesy - The Hindu Shutterbug, thetraces.aminus3.com by Sriram Guruswamy
    5 people like this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    "As Bhartiya Mahila Bank gets underway, Uma Shashikant speaks of why such gestures are short-sighted at best and tokenism at worst."

An article that appeared in The Hindu yesterday - 25th August 2013. Why am I posting that here - The author is my sister and I am proud of her :D

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    LS in India can maintain a table like this.

Monsoon session - Disruption reason

Day 1 -
    Day 2 -
    Day 3 -
    Day N -
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    1.24 Lakhs fine for speeding? Cool. Great initiative.

We really need more of these. If we had these country-wide, I would love to see all the half-baked enthusiasts brag about top speeds.

Rajan
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Speed cameras. They need to be installed in other states too.
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    you are thinking only one side of the coin...all over the world, people are striving to reduce the travel time between places and here( only in kerala) they are against it. It is the effective mode of transport to thousands of people who can reach the workplace after weekends in minimum time and cost and comfort. these buses are engineered for that purpose. In a country like ours, where the train travel is way slower and uncomfortable and unhygienic, flights are unaffordable to 99% of the population, there has to be some effective mode of transportation like this !! thankfully, there is another road through tamil nadu to reach blore, etc through which they can reach in flat 12 hours!! when i had to visit mumbai urgently last month, i couldnt get a train ticket in the last moment and flights were insanely costly, i chose a volvo, who put me in the place in 27 hours flat, which no train in india can, with so much comfort!! Nowhere in india other than kerala has such strict implementation of speed limits and nowadays people are harrased in the name of law.. the new commisioner even introduced new rule for proper number plates, so that number is visible clearly in the cams.. after sun film, this is the new looting technique found by him and he is quite successful in that !! after collecting a record 30 crore in minimum days, i m wondering where did all these go ? most of the money is put up for buying more cameras , filling their treasuries and pockets and no facilities has been added on the road for the welfare of the common man... not a stretch in kerala is proper other than ekm to trisur.. that is the only 4 laned highway in kerala (which is just less than 200kms), and that is where this bus was fined for speeding. 1.24 lakh for 42 speed cams comes out to be 3000 rs per cam, which is 10 times over the rate of fine,ie, 300. Also that ekm trs stretch is one of the most tolled roads in india after expressways and nice road.
    unless you know law or you are a bigshot, you cant slip out from them.. i know multiple cases when my friends are charged for nothing, when they find all docs proper, they just fine them for improper spacing between numbers in number plate, angle of number plate is not proper.. if they see you in bigger bikes like ninja, carry a few 500 Rs notes in pocket, you wont be able to go through the roads without paying fine for overspeeding, cos speed of bikes is 50kmph in kerala.. moreover, even if they dont have radars of cams, they just fine for the sake of it and there is no second word...I m just FED UP !!
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Brother - Sorry I could not read all of what you posted. Paragraphs would have helped. I shall try to read it later.

Going just by your opening statement - I am not just looking at one side of the coin. Reducing travel time does not happen by just driving faster. There are multiple factors involved - better infrastructure, better road manners, better law enforcement - just to name a few. All of them are inter-related.

People do 200 kmph + on the Autobahn for a reason. Relax and think about it.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Just a thought that came to my mind :) ! Do state govts have the right to put speed limits on National Highways ?
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Speed limits in India vary by state and vehicle type. Lower limits than the ones specified can be set by local governments. Ironically, cars do not have any prescribed maximum speed limits in the states of AP, MH and KA. It is only governed by the maximum speed limit prescribed for the road. This means that you can drive as fast as you like in the roads of these states, subject to the maximum speed limit of the road itself.

By derivation, if there is no prescribed speed limit for the road, then you can assume you are driving on the Autobahn :D

Rajan