1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3

Our tastes in books seem similar.

I wonder if you have read Forsyth's "Icon'. I liked it better than 'The Afghan'.

Two other writers I will recommend are William Goldman - his "Marathon Man" is a classic; "Princess Bride: was another book by him that I liked. The other chap is Herman Raucher. "Summer of 42" is a must read.

A slightly different genre that is still very readable is "To kill a mocking bird" by Harper Lee.

2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

George Orwell - 1984

"Big Brother is watching you" :)
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

Nice to meet some one with same interest of books :)

I have read Icon, but have not read William goldman and Hermen Raucher- will sure read him.

As I am typing this, i have "To kill a mocking bird" in my bag - just finished re-reading it and returning it to a colleague.

Couple of my all time favorite books are: Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, Old man and the Sea, Jonathan livingston seagul, HHTG. LOTR, Metamorphosis, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Zahir, Harry Potter - the list goes on.

I also love All works of PG Wodehouse, all works of Louis lamour, all works by Fritjof Kapra - well, start talking books and I can hardly stop myself :)
  4. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Guys check this book out... Tarun "Tehelka" Tejpal has written a blinder of a book. "The valley of masks", do check this one out.
    Also books from Amitav Ghosh are really fantastic. Read "Sea Of Poppies". Its fantastic.
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Yeah, My complaint is Dan Brown is a slow writer & does not write much. :mrgreen: He has not written after "The Lost Symbol"

Great. I've read almost all Books by Robert Ludlum. Liked the Bourne series. After the 1st 3 Bourne books you mentioned, there are 3 more - Bourne Legacy, Bourne Objective & a 3rd also I guess (forgot the name). Robert Ludlum has written lots of books unlike Dan Brown. That too I've now almost exhausted.

I've read all these as well. I think the his latest is "The Cobra" - good read.
  6. nmp

nmp Amatore

Thane, Mumbai
    Pardon me if somebody has already posted this.
    If you are interested to read books on computers / Tabs then do check this link. Tons of books are available for free downloading.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  7. anoop

anoop Superiore

Nice to see lot of people with same taste.
    The books you are talking about - Bourne Legacy, objective etc are sequels written by another author - Eric Van Lustbader. he have written six sequels after the original three books by Ludlum.

Some how, I never found the sequels written by others appealing - they some how lose the original touch. I have tried these Bourne sequels, the sequel to 'The godfather' written by Mark Winegardner (the Godfather Returns), the sequel (sixth installment) to Hitch Hikers Guide To Galaxy written by Eoin Colfer but never liked any of them much.

I do like the original works of Eoin Colfer - the Artemis Fowl series.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

You're right. Usually, sequels are not half as good as originals. Be it books or even movies.

There are couple of Ludlum books that I've yet not read:

• The Parsifal Mosaic
    • The Scorpio Illusion

Following are the Ludlum books I've read:

• The Scarlatti Inheritance
    • The Osterman Weekend
    • The Matlock Paper
    • Trevayne
    • The Cry of the Halidon
    • The Rhinemann Exchange
    • The Road to Gandolfo
    • The Gemini Contenders
    • The Chancellor Manuscript
    • The Holcroft Covenant
    • The Matarese Circle
    • The Bourne Identity
    • The Aquitaine Progression
    • The Bourne Supremacy
    • The Icarus Agenda
    • The Bourne Ultimatum
    • The Road to Omaha
    • The Apocalypse Watch
    • The Matarese Countdown
    • The Prometheus Deception
    • The Sigma Protocol
    • The Janson Directive
    • The Tristan Betrayal
    • The Ambler Warning
    • The Bancroft Strategy

Covert-One Series (again not originally by Ludlum. These are written by others from Ludlum's unused notes)

• The Hades Factor by Gayle Lynds
    • The Cassandra Compact by Philip Shelby
    • The Paris Option by Gayle Lynds
    • The Altman Code by Gayle Lynds
    • The Lazarus Vendetta by Patrick Larkin
    • The Moscow Vector by Patrick Larkin
    • The Arctic Event by James H. Cobb
    • The Ares Decision by Kyle Mills

Besides Ludlum, long back I read some books by Irving Wallace, Sydney Sheldon, Arthur Hilly, John Grisham

2 of the books I read very early (long long back) & are among my favorites are - The Almighty (Irving Wallace) & Rage of Angels (Sydney Sheldon)
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3