1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @jisnu more than Race-chip, I would love the ride quality mate. Your car looks fabulous with old GC. Don't ever upgrade to the new GC. Honest opinion from me ;)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  2. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Re: Buying a Punto 1.3 Multi-Jet Dynamic

Dear Zen, I hope you came across a thread where one of our member's Punto was banged by a tipper from the rear and was sandwiched into another truck in front. They were waiting at a traffic signal (0 kmph). The car is a total loss but they came out unscratched. The most basic and an important safety feature of a car is a seatbelt and not just for the main roads or to avoid fines from the traffic cops. The other safety features might come into action or not but a seatbelt will always.
    So when some one is trying to explain you the importance or the need to follow a certain safety aspect (all in your intrest), it sounds a bit rude to me that you reply in the above manner.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    4 people like this.
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Apologies if my reply was considered in such manner. Certainly the intent was not that. As i had conveyed to Shams via PM, 99% of the time i am in the seat belt. As shams stated above, even me too look out for seat belt as soon as i enter car and crank engine. However, i do not want to argue with any of you (Sure you all are much wise than me), there is 1% deviation in my use case/scenario here which after much thought i decided so.
    Since the point of me not wearing seat belt was taken from my thread here due to some confusion i had in mind (while experiments), hence i had to put it out that way.

Infact, one of the main reason/high priority concern of me choosing a FIAT car and that too a top end is because of safety concerns (ABS + EBD + Dual Air bags). So when that is my concern in choosing/buying a car, my point or doubt was taken/considered in a wrong way.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Zen - more than 99% of the times when we drive, we do not crash. When you say safety is your primary concern and advise the same to someone looking to buy a car, and OTOH, when you post that you were not wearing seat belts in another thread, it comes across as weird.

Extract from here:
    Ever wondered what does the SRS stand for when talking of Airbags? It stands for "Supplemental Restraint System". It supplements the Seat Belt, which is the Primary Restraint System, combined with Pre-tensioners. Here is what happens when a car crashes, at let us say 40 kmph

1. The car comes to a standstill from 40 to 0 in less than a few seconds
    2. The rate of deceleration is too high, which triggers the sensors for the pre-tensioners and also airbags, based on the impact
    3. The pre-tensioner automatically pre-tensions the seat belts to reduce occupant's motion on impact
    4. The airbag then gets deployed, to cushion the occupant's impact with the steering wheel / dashboard.

For a moment, let us assume that the occupant is not wearing seat belts. On impact, the car comes from 40 -0, but the occupant is still moving forward at considerable velocity. The pre-tensioner gets activated, but does not help, as the occupant is not wearing seat belt. The air bag also gets deployed and expands to its full capacity in less than 30 milliseconds. So, the occupant is falling forward freely and is met with an air bag that is expanding. I am sure you can imagine what that relative velocity would be. When that happens, it is like being punched really hard in the face, while falling forward.

In a nutshell, there is no circumstance when sitting in a moving car, when seat belts are not required. It is not about me quoting you from another thread. This is an open forum and it would not take much for Mohan to see your thread and your comment about not wearing seat belt and wonder - "This guy does not wear seat belts, but wants to wax eloquent about safety in my thread??". Hope you get the point.

Rajan

PS: If you were experimenting to see if the buzzer will go off, if you are not wearing seat belts, I personally do not think it is a good idea. Nevertheless, if you have to do it, do so in an isolated stretch, preferably in a play ground sort of place.
    4 people like this.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Rajan,

If a person just takes line blindinly with out understand the intent or what the actual person means to say (I had quoated that it was a doubt), then he/she is being judgemental over my lines.

Yes in general i preach and convince people to worry or give very high priority about safety of a vehicle they buy. But i am sure they are wise and smart enough to decide there are certain deviations when they need not to wear with cautious like i do.

However, as already said i do not want to argue with much wise people than me. So ill just drop my case here.
    Thanks for the detailed explaination posted about Airbags.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Zen - Please see all the quotes from your thread. I do not understand which line I took blindly. Or maybe I took all the lines blindly, I guess.

Also, I will be very grateful if you could please elaborate on the "certain deviations". I have been blindly wearing seat belts all the time, like an idiot.

Rajan

PS: Please understand this. I am not questioning your judgement or decision to not wear seat belts. It is your car and it is your life. You are at liberty to do what you think is right. This is a free country, after all. I am only questioning this - How can you preach something that you do not practice yourself?
    5 people like this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am a bigger idiot than you. I even wear seatbelt to take my car out of portico to park outside. No Roads, No traffic, and the car is moved in reverse gear. :)
    8 people like this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Rajan,
    i have one example,one of my friend bought a new Ford Figo,first day in office with sweets all over everyone were invited for free drive.
    Now this guy comes excitedly shaking hands took the car keys,ignition ON and there you go went straight and big hard hit to the one of pillar in the the parking bay.evryone went rushing and seen the guy was with hands covering on his face,i thought he was crying,then noticed it was all blood in his hand,his face was banged on to the steering wheel when impact took place.Now just imagine the owner's situation(First day of car,bumper gone).

P.S
    1. if you are not confident,then dont take the keys
    2. if he had weared a seat belt things might have been different.
    7 people like this.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I dont like anyone driving my car nor do I like to drive anyone else's car, unless it is a test drive vehicle. In any case, the first thing that my left hand searches for after getting inside the car is the seat belt. Well, there are some who are uncomfortable driving with seat belt on, all they can do is to start using seat belt and get used to it. After some point, it becomes difficult to drive without it. We should be wearing seat belts not because it is required by law, but for our own safety.
    Not pin pointing/referring to anyone here.

I learnt driving in an old generation mahindra jeep that had neither seat belts nor side doors. Wearing seat belts in car was difficult for me initially, but I forced it on me and now, I feel uncomfortable driving without seat belt.
    4 people like this.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Coming to the much-debated hot subject of wearing the seat belts always, 99% of the times, many times, some times, occasionally, rarely, etc., I like the way in which Jason Statham insists his female co-passengers to buckle their belts in the Transporter movies. :)
    8 people like this.