1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    I don't know how expert driver you are but downshifting to slow down in case of sudden braking comes only by good amount of driving experience, as newbie you ll find it a bit challenging (unless you want to jerk the car often and shake up the passengers or blow off some components under the hood ) :D

And yes, I would say keep an eye on rpm meter like @DRIV3R pointed out, it definitely helps coz I too follow the same.

After all cars have their instrument cluster on dashboard just towards windshield so that one can keep an eye on road along with instrument cluster.

Lastly, Keep calm and drive your car at 1600-2000 rpm for a few 1000 kms initially and then you'll gain enough confidence to push it to limits.

Drive safe and take good care of your Italian horse mate ;)

Cheers.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Downshifting, proper clutch release, rev matching all contribute to better engine braking and better driving dynamics overall. Heel and toe technique comes in very handy too. But these are more to be experienced, rather than being read on a forum. I love Google for the doors it opens to learning. But of course, the learning is left to the individual concerned.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

U need the RPM meter only when you are getting accustomed to the car. Once you know your car, you go with the flow. U can make out when you need to downshift without even looking at the rev counter.

Zen, Driving a new car amongst traffic in a metro city sure is taxing. Take care and drive safe. Utilise the weekends for some legs stretching for the 90HP.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    If you are driving at 60-80 or may be even 100kmph, downshifting from 5th to 4th will not give a jerk, but will give a feel that you have applied brake. Consider experimenting.
    Disclaimer: My observation is based my driving experience on my 1.4 Punto, which is from the first batch, and also the heaviest of Puntos in India :)
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @fiatlover true man. Considering @Zenwalker is a new driver, I would suggest him to drive slow and understand the vehicle.

Punto is fun to drive if you know exactly when to upshift and downshift.

We all can give him loads of theories but in the end, he would only learn when he clocks more and more miles :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys,

I really need this information urgently.

Planning to visit 3M car care for:

1. Scratch proof film protection on body
    2. Under belly protection => Needed? Not sure. Please advice
    3. HSR Layout or JP Nagar, which is better? Distance wise JP Nagar is very near for me. Which ever you suggest, please please provide the contact person details. Searching forum dead ended me :(
    4. What else protection i can add in?
    5. Call me crazy, but i want to protect her alot more.

7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Agree. Theories become helpful as you gain more experience as well as the confidence to experiment.

- - - Merged Post - - -

You can go for the 3M underbody coating which comes with 5 year warranty. It's a rubber like compound and takes some time to dry completely. You can re-apply it after two years or so. I had done that in my car, but unsure how useful it is.
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    But SA told me that FIAT has already done that and again 5 years no problem. I.e Anti corrosive paint/treatment.
  9. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @Zenwalker to answer your questions.

1. Scratch proof film (Paint protection film) is an expensive affair, it would cost you Rs.60000 for coating entire body of the car. And on white color its really not recommended to cover door edges or bumper coz after some time, the film gets visible due to dust accumulating on the edges.

2. Underbody coat, anti rust !! Yes, go ahead as @Mohankv also got it done at 3M HSR and I got it done during 1st service at Vecto. (Rs. 2000)

3. Do a paint sealant treatment, it will cost around Rs.3000.

I would recommend HSR Layout 3M coz I have had not so pleasant experience at Jayanagar but heard a few good reviews about Jayanagar too.

Siddhu is the guy (owner of 3M HSR) check with him on things you need to keep your car looking new :)

Good Luck :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Hello Imran,

1. The film is more like an scratching done by this 2 wheelers. Krishna got it on his side mirrors as per his thread. So good??
    2. Underbody coating is done by FIAT right? Still??
    3. What is this sealant helpful for??
    4. Siddhu contacts please? PM me if you wish.

Thanks