1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hey jaya sorry dude, I guess you are right...
    I got punto when it was released and then upgraded to 90hp, but still I dont know what are the ''other goodies'' in my car..
    Genius people like you who ''has a life'', and ''hidden goodies'' in their trunk can only enlighten the life of poor souls like us..

I seriously wonder car dynamics, braking, handling and stability was the only usp of fiat cars, but if you say they are worthless, what other hidden goodies can it be?? Cant wait sir for you to spill the beans, nuts, bolts ......

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well let me start by saying I dont have any instruments for Performance checks. All we had is first milestone to the last coconut tree .

With a single person ,the driver that is me,Liva stops better from say 80kmph to zero than what Punto does.Both have ABS.

I cannot include details of brake pad wears, and other technical conditions.

My 'Assumtion' is Liva being lighter so prompt to stop on a 4 month old Macadam road on a bright sunny day . Punto takes a bit extra with some shudder (ABS compensating for additional weight I guess) at full pressure on Brake pedal. I did not check with an alternate tires of similar width,which is beyond my capacity.

I must say ,Toyota has awesome brakes.Rest of the car is next to plastic can,they rattles like old Hyundais.

Thanks buddy,

I am humbled and acknowledge your compliments .
    Rgds.

Thanks Clash.

Looks like somebody remember that dreaded incident other than me.

No matter What the world say,Fiat brakes are unreliable.Period!

I am yet to figure out if it is ABS or Brake pad problem as I could not recreate it again or a speck of really bad luck!!

Let me recall it again.

We did 172 kmph in some high from bangalore to chennai for about 7 minutes,with 4 passengers . car was running from last 3 hours continuously. then on a normal highway at 100kmph for about 30 minutes ,9.30 hour slowed to 80-90 kmph looking for breakfast. then saw the tractor and truck in front..jammed pedals with full force,wont stop, quickly informed my brothers hold on we are going to crash...BANG!!!!!!!! somewhere near Vellur 200km west of Chennai
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  3. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    This is a news to me that Liva has got better brakes than Punto 90HP :eek:

I always thought Fiat had the best brakes, maybe am gonna trade my Punto 90HP for a Liva sometime soon, atleast after that I will not suffer with poor ride quality and get a better performer (D4D) :)

P.S If you could figure out the sarcasm in the above statements, you are a Smart :thumbup:

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @Jayadev Sorry to hear about that accident, its unfortunate. I own a 90HP past few months and I would say, there is no other hatchback that can satisfy a driver completely.

I have been a Fan of Fiat since the day Palio 1.9D was launched. Fiat cars may not be perfect but at the price we bought them, none of the other manufacturers give you the same stuff.

If we really want perfection with respect to all aspects then I guess Mercedes Benz A class checks all the boxes at a price tag of 20+ lakhs ex showroom :)

1 person likes this.
  5. I haven't tried the Point A - B braking technique. I felt the braking are not confident enough on the Tidel park - Madhya kailash road. I drive that road everyday at 80 - 100 speed and on a LIVA I was doing the same speed and when I had to take the turn behind the temple, I was not sure if I had pressed the brakes or not. When the car didnt slow down I started feeling I going to rear end on some vehicle. I didnt expect a Punto like braking on that LIVA but this car really scared the hell out of me. OK I thought I didn't read the situation properly. But even on the IIT Flyover the car failed to stop where I wanted to. The car owner told me stop driving this car like you drive yours which was exactly my Mind Voice. The brakes didnt give the confidence to cut through the traffic. The calibration was lost. To me, after experiencing the feedback from Punto on pressing the brake, no other car gave the feeling that the car is slowing down. That moment felt like the car is still going in the same speed. Makes me nervous, I react like searching for the second brake pedal to somehow stop the car. And the after effects when driving my punto, is another task to get used to the better braking.

For 80 - 0, I haven't tested but experienced and in particular the life saving braking of a puppy in a service lane and another dog on the highways. I stopped the car, got out to check if the puppy was unhurt and it stayed there under the bumper to thank me. On the highway, it was corner where a dog jumped into the road from the other side and didnt move. I was defenitly doing more than 120. The car stopped, no internal organs of mine were out of my mouth, the dog continued eating something on the road and we left the place. I have tested this on liva during a TD, but the difference is with a LIVA it like lungs out of my mouth whereas in punto it was like nothing happened. That is why I said I would never understand why punto scored lesser.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Jayadev, that was really scary accident. thank god you are safe.
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @Srida I would say brakes in Liva are definitely better than swift or i20 but not when compared to Punto or a Linea.

Try Renault Pulse/Nissan Micra sometime. I would rate those brakes as the most lousy brakes available in market which take their own sweet time to stop the car :)

7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    No mate,
    The fun part was ,I was smiling after the incident,because it was my first with a thought that nothing serious should have happened counting on famous build quality of Fiats.
    But my heart dropped to knees seeing my brother who checked out the impact,I saw tears in his eyes.
    Then rest of the cousin brothers checked out to have a look and they remained stunned .
    I was still not believing something serious could happen. When I saw them stuck like in front of coffin,I let go my wheels and had a look ,disaster it was.
    Set me back Rs.90000,to get it back to normal. the Impact was not onto to chassis but intruded through bonnet into condensor radiator,intercooler etc.(FAss chennai fixed it within 28 days,so anybody blaming fiat for poor service can kill himself)

Please understand I dont need to lie about experience with my drivings.(Like as if I am lying about Punto Vs Liva case).I have no commercial intention or to prove which is better, rather sharing an experience/S with friends or petrol heads.I can be very wrong and I am open for it. But not for endless rants baseless arguments.(I get bored very quickly)If you cant bear it,I will keep MuM like I used to be since, 1.5 years.with only very occasional one liners,so That your individual egos are not hurt.

One thing aroused in my mind just now,Rarely anybody shares his/hers accident experiences,other than about minor scratches,I wonder is it fearing the resale VAlue,somebody did pointed me about the resale value and online forums? lol.
    I have no intention to sell it (unless I get bankrupt), as it is better than what it was stock (oops).

Lessons:
    Fiat Brakes are Unreliable* (or tires or roads or luck-yet to discover)
    Body is sturdier than I thought,We did not even had a feather touch feel inside the cabin.Almost 60-0 instantly.
    Fass is reliable and friendly*
    Still wont rattle after 2.5 years post accident too.
    Looks better every next day.
    A VFM car.

I have ripped it apart,Why not it is my love! from tires to suspensions to bearing,painting,(2k paints are still a mystery)MC, except MJD which left untouched.and driven it like maniac.
    Ohh well I do my own services now.Recently did an operation on window controller module, which stays behind the AC filter unit under the dash board.
    I was experimenting on Acoustic in cabin noise cancellation using 3 mini subwoofer but holding it back due to wieght increase of atleast 9 kg and bit space issue.its lovely feel with no rumbles and rolling noise of tires.Sorry if I am offending not sharing with you all. well I felt TFi is ahead of my thoughts so.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I am sorry. I tried reading this post multiple times, but I am unable to understand what is being said.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @jayadev,
    Even in my recent TD with new Liva, i did tried to break on the same road where i did break hard Punto too. Thankfully Punto reassured that confidence where Liva did not. I am not expert here nor trying to disprove you. Just sharing my observations. Not only the breaks did not apply too soon on Liva, even the body was shaking when i had applied hard with 3 people seated inside.
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

@jayadev: I really doubt if you have owned or driven a 90HP for two years. Because all I see from your posts on TFI in any thread is anti-Fiat. For eg, the Amaze thread.

Punto is not safe after 80kmph?! Good one.

Recently I TDed an Etios refresh for my friends purchase. Finished the TD, got back into my Punto and took the same road and boy I knew the what words like stable, solid meant wrt the Punto. Even my colleagues who own other cars like the i20 and Swift praise the build and solidness whenever they have a ride in mine, though rest of the time they crack jokes on Fiat. Wondering why that little amount of saneness is missing with few members here.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    1 person likes this.