1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I had a test drive of top spec i20 diesel a few weeks ago ( infact i did amaze and i20 TD's back to back). It had all four discs and boy oh boy I tried hard braking ( in front of Tidel park) and I hardly felt the "bite" which is so very evident in our Fiats. I felt like braking a M800 with no feel no guarantee if it is going to respond. some how thanked myself I didnt try this circus in a more crowded stretch having got the hang from Puntos braking abilities. When i mentioned this to the SA he told it is a test drive car it might have deteriorated a bit. Well it was a <10k run car. Indeed it is TD vehicle- so what..? My GPs 2 discs at 35k km still got thaat bite.
    Having said that I appreciated its soft suspension, for it works good in city traffic and roads and THAT is it tuned for (as they say) and u know, it has a hidden tone - "dont try anything more ;)"
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Its not lack of efficiency,but the optimized bite I guess along with chasis control.
    sometime feels like disc pads are oiled.and there is improper balance feel on body making it all feel terrible. car does stops but after some heart in mouth experience. the braking is least linear unlike Fiat.

Like wise new swift brake is bit much retarded.for slower speeds it feels fine but after 70kmph the braking curve would look like a parabola,It wont stop.I guess there is heating issue in discs.
  3. When was the swift braking gOod? Even the zdi/zxi lacks proper braking..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    My friend owns vdi, due to poor brakings, he upgraded to alloys and upsized the tyres with wider contact patch.

After all this he is all praise about the road grip and brakings but he acknowledges that it isn't as great as on a Linea or a Punto :)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  5. Nothing improves believe me..swift owners are forced to believe that things like upgrading to alloys and wider tyres improve braking, honestly when the braking of the car is itself shitty unless ugrading the brake system nothing can help much.I am saying this from my experience, I have installed alloys and potenza g3 from the day I got the car, then upgraded to mich xm1+, the braking was better no doubt but it was still no way upto the braking standards of punto active with stock punny tyres.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @wolverine_arnab I agree. Fiats brakes are a class apart. That was one of the factors why I chose Fiat.

1 person likes this.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

That's exactly what i mean by the statement "It scares the hell out". If you have suddenly swapped an i20, it's not "Impotent braking" but a horrible illusion of "NO BRAKES" at all.
    Now imagine yourself at 120 km/hr and then discovering the stopping power of i20/swift or whatever ABC you are driving for that matter. It's feeling like a DEAD/LIFELESS being for 2-3 secs, a feeling of complete hopelessness, staring death in the eyes, isn't it:-D?

Finally one realizes: **** these Resales/ASS concepts can only be useful if i brake in time and stay alive.

I just can't comprehend how magnificent Abarth's braking capabilities would be with 4 Discs and much bigger pistons/Calipers with additional cooling mechanism for discs.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    2 people like this.
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @EnKi abharth ? That's too far off mate, try the all new Linea TJet with all 4 discs.

I test drove it last weekend and man, if I were to have enough money to spend on petrol that's the car I would opt for ;)

Out on highway, I took it to 120 kmph and hit the brakes hard leaving the steering loose and in no time the vehicle slowed down without losing its straightline. In terms of braking, other manufacturers should learn from Fiats :thumbup:

9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Buddy ,You have gone too far,almost at the edge of earth.watch out before you fall into endless eternal deep space and gets forgotten.
    Man what a hell of imaginative being you are?
    (Take it as a compliment)

-------------------------

Brakes of i20 and Swift is not that bad,but Average. Acceptable for regular commuters.

Abarth add more juice to compensate greater power and speed. they too submit before laws of nature aka braking distance,friction.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013