1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    GM stops production of Tavera and two diesel variants of Sail

US car maker, General Motors India has stopped the production of the diesel variant of its recently launched hatchback and notch back model of Sail and BS III Tavera MPV for almost a week due to potential emission performance of both these models.

The company had stopped the production of diesel powered Sail notchback and hatchback on 5th of June and Tavera BS III on 6th of June. The company however said, the Tavera BS-IV and Sail HB (hatchback) & NB (notchback or sedan) Petrol models are unaffected and production of these vehicles is continuing.

P Balendran, VP, General Motors India confirmed the development and said, "As part of General Motors' stringent manufacturing and quality control processes, we have identified a potential emissions performance issue with the Chevrolet Tavera BS-III and a quality issue with the Chevrolet Sail HB & NB Diesel variant. Neither issue is safety-related. Since GM is committed to product excellence, we have temporarily suspended production of these vehicles."

The company has been averaging the sales of Sail hatchback and sedan of around 2,000 to 3,000 units and Tavera around 1,500 to 2,000 units. Over 60-70% of Sail vehicle sales comes from diesel, but increasingly the share of petrol is moving up.

The company has already intimated all its dealers on the same. And this suspension of production could lead to delay in delivery of models for some of the booked orders.

Balendran said, that the company is working hard to resolve these issues as quickly as possible and will come back with more details in the coming days as it move toward a solution for both vehicles.

When asked, if these vehicles will be recalled, Balendran said, "We will come back to you with an update after thorough investigation in the coming days."

The Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers Association came out with the voluntary recall policy in July of 2012 and since then several car makers like Ford, Honda, Toyota and Nissan amongst others have resorted to recall of over 1.5 lakh vehicle in India.

The move which was perceived with a lot of scepticism in the past, is increasingly considered as a good move on part of the companies who are owning up to their fault and recalling vehicle to replace spare parts free of cost.

Source:- GM stops production of Tavera and two diesel variants of Sail - The Economic Times
  2. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

i20, swift scares the hell out if you are driving a FIAT regularly, the very first setbacks for regular FIATian are BRAKES & Steering. Recently drove an i20 petrol & no way i dare to try anything thrilling into it, brakes were virtua;lly dead, steering no where looks like it's connected to tires at all, it just turns when rotated. Salute those i20 enthusiasts, real big hearted & courageous they are.

Slowly you start noting 100s of other minute but very critical things but these 2 things are on top. That's where experience comes into play. Electronic steerings are numb but its just too much!! It forces you weigh the things like can a Motorcycle maker or a lawn mower maker can make a better car suddenly than a genuine car manufacturer since 114 yrs. No replacement for experience. It's only last generation FIAT's but still it's easily evident when compared with latest efforts from other manufacturers. You can argue for whatever you like, but if you value the true driving aspects, you have to be on the side where experience, innovation & heritage resides.
    9 people like this.
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    ENKI with respect to i20 braking I believe it has all 4 wheel disk brakes right ? Still it lacks braking efficiency ?
    2 people like this.
  4. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Yup all four are disks in sportz and asta i guess. Apart from top speed it has no driving dynamics.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Cinju, it was a petrol variant (not the top variant), I think it was just 2 discs. Yet to drive all discs and I am not sure if i really want to test high speed braking of i20. I tried doing that in Manza around 120 (i somehow got carried away after doing it day and night in Punto). It was skidding like i was driving on ice (it was abs version which was hardly noticeable), worst fact was that the rear misaligned so badly that car almost went sideways from straight & rear just escaped the divider by a foot or so (car got hardly slower, still over 100km/hr & immediately imbalanced itself in fraction of sec. i pressed the pedal). For me, there is no such thing as emergency brakes in Manza. Had i not recovered from that imbalance, feels like ewwww!!! Same was the feeling with 2007 Verna but i was very conscious this time after Manza adventure (it was around 80-90 km/hr & did it in stages).

Sincerely, strong braking is not enough:

Does those brakes still perform equally well if car is fully loaded?

How chassis absorbs the whiplash & how much rear is held is even more important?

The babe doesn't leave it's straight line even when i stood on 175 km/hr on my punto?

Having said that it is continuosly maneuverable doesn't matter how hard braking is in progress (Steering generally goes dead under hard braking), it gives you billion dollars's couple of secs to rescue yourself from being a dead (obviously if you can!).

You have to be with me to exactly experience what kind of braking this 2 disc car has. You will start liking multifolds your punto, i bet.

For me, There is lot more to the story than just discs, good calipers/rotors and what not. I have heard good braking of Fabia, Polo but honestly I am done testing anymore Non-FIATs, it's too risky, thanks!
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    I agree with @Enki. You brake on a FIAT car, it never loses its line be it Punto or a Linea. And on highways at higher speeds good braking does matter a lot.

I have Test driven i20 coz owning a santro I wanted to upgrade to another Hyundai, but after extensively driving i20 I felt the car lacked quite a lot of things.

Hence the only left option (Driver's Car) was FIAT Punto 90HP. Trust me, after having driven Punto for over 7000kms in less than 4 months I strongly believe I wouldn't have enjoyed driving a Hyundai i20 :)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Chennai Traffic Police rocks (At least to a complaint filed online by me). More details later. :)
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Ramesh, your action items are piling up ;)
    2 people like this.
  9. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    1 person likes this.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Today in my office I spotted a maroon K10 with a VDI badge at the hatch door. Don't know if he is a big fan of DDIS engine. :)
    3 people like this.