1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Thread for all off-topic discussions/comments/chat etc

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by nk4FIAT, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yesterday my punto had got hard hit from behind by santro in hyd.the impact was very hard,i thought the back bumper might have gone all over.After seeing the bumper got just slight misalignment and the number plate lamps came down from its position.
    it was strange to see the santro,the bonnet came up with all twist and turns one can clearly see the engine and one left hand side headlight got broken of the santro...:evilsmileAs the mistake was the santrowala he was calm .i asked him "hope you can drive your car ? ".As our both cars were MH RTO passing we both left smiling as already traffic jam started (in khairatabad junction).
    The damage to santro was huge.
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Sunith

Sunith Amatore

This could be very well a GM tech center evaluation vehicle for the Tech center team in ITPL. They also have couple of Opel Insignia's used as electrical and engine test for the global projects. :)
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    not exactly OT but couldn't find a suitable thread so posting here:
    For how much time can we listen to music without starting the car without having any adverse effect on the battery? without amp/sub!!
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    shams, it depends on lots of things -
    - Battery rating (ah)
    - Load of music system
    - Battery charged condition etc.

The battery rating would tell how much time it will deliver current (amp).
    But these things are tough to measure.

So if battery condition is good and have good ratings, it will play easily in hours.
    1 person likes this.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think the music system shuts off after 20 minutes if the key is not in MAR position.
  7. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    There is a setting for this to switch off after 20 mins of running in else i think it will play continuously for hours and may be the HU will get heated up .
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Korean made Washing Machine blown off at my home.

Disposed both Washing machine and the refrigerator. Bought Panasonic. Didn't hear about any recommendation from friends and relatives just like I did for the car. :)

Korean products - Please get out of my home.
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore

A regular car battery is not a good device for running appliances for a long time, without the engine running. However, a stock car stereo doesn't draw much current, so you can probably get away with it for a while without a problem. But if you leave it on all night, it might drain your starter battery enough to damage it.

CCA (cold cranking amps) is the main thing to pay attention to in a starter battery. This is a measure of how much current the battery can provide at 0 deg F. Batteries work better when they are warm, so the colder it gets, the less current it can provide. Starting an engine requires a lot of current, over a very short time. Meanwhile, cold engines are harder to start, requiring more power to get them going.

As batteries age, their internal resistance increases, reducing CCA. Total capacity decreases at the same time. This is why a newer battery can start your car in any weather, even if you leave the inside light on overnight, while an old battery might only start the car when fully charged, in good weather.

Starter batteries are optimized for short-duration, high-current draws, followed immediately by recharging. They are built with thinner plates with more surface area, which speeds up the chemical reactions that release the energy. If you draw them down to 1/2 charge, and then leave them like that for a while, hard crystals will form on the plates, which won't re-dissolve easily on recharging. That reduces capacity and CCA over time. So, keep your starter battery fully charged, and avoid dropping below 80% during non-starter usage.

Deep-cycle batteries, like on golf carts, fork lifts, etc. are able to tolerate being discharged deeper and left that way longer than starter batteries, but they really don't like a high-current draw like for starting an engine. Best to draw on them gently, and never below 50% if possible.

Increasing your battery size will allow you to run those appliances for a little longer, but it's still not the right approach. Ideally, if you plan on running these appliances for longer periods, without your engine running, you will need an additional Deep-Cycle battery, which powers the accessories, while the starter battery does just that - start the car. This would be the ideal option, but is not cheap. This will allow you to run the music system, have an aux light on, run a car fridge for much longer durations, without the engine running, but still be able to start the car in the first crank.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.